100 ws monolights enough for sports portraits?

flameshots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been offered the opportunity to shoot Wrestling portraits. Given the available lighting inside most gyms would two 100ws monolights be enough? I would probably be using softboxes but could use umbrellas if they are better. Any help would be great. I know I would probably be happier with more powerful lights but getting started with a limited budget has me asking such questions. Thanks again for any input.

If the light can overcome the available light , good enough.
-
Shoot well, Joe

One 50ws light could be enough, depending on placement and lighting style. I don't see wrestling portraits being done as high-key type shots, rather I would think you want more low-key, dramatic shots. I would think that two 100ws lights, one with a shoot-through umbrella, and the other without, would allow you to get some pretty good shots.

If they have modeling lights turn off the gym lights shoot on a nice dark background or use some of the gym props and good light placement and you will have no problem

One 50ws light could be enough, depending on placement and lighting style. I don't see wrestling portraits being done as high-key type shots, rather I would think you want more low-key, dramatic shots. I would think that two 100ws lights, one with a shoot-through umbrella, and the other without, would allow you to get some pretty good shots.
That's pretty much what I was thinking also. There are several package deals out there that are well within my budget.

That's pretty much what I was thinking also. There are several package deals out there that are well within my budget.

You are talking flash and not continuos ?

For shooting acgtual wrestling "action" photos, there is no need for umbrellas of any kind really...the light sources will be "hard" at the distances you'll encounter in most gyms; you might just as well go with the highest-efficiency reflector you have for the lights. Something like an 11.5 inch 50 to 65 degree reflector would be quite useful. The umbrella is only going to cut your power if it is more than 20 feet away from the action; if the lights are set up at 30 to 50 feet distant, ANY light modifer is just costing light, and will NOT provide soft shadows. And I mean this in all seriousness. If you have to position the lights on the balcony level, then do NOT use umbrellas !

If the lights are close to the athletes and you are doing individual portraits, then use any modifier(s) you'd like to use.

For shooting acgtual wrestling "action" photos, there is no need for umbrellas of any kind really...the light sources will be "hard" at the distances you'll encounter in most gyms; you might just as well go with the highest-efficiency reflector you have for the lights. Something like an 11.5 inch 50 to 65 degree reflector would be quite useful. The umbrella is only going to cut your power if it is more than 20 feet away from the action; if the lights are set up at 30 to 50 feet distant, ANY light modifer is just costing light, and will NOT provide soft shadows. And I mean this in all seriousness. If you have to position the lights on the balcony level, then do NOT use umbrellas !

If the lights are close to the athletes and you are doing individual portraits, then use any modifier(s) you'd like to use.
Derrel, thanks for the input. I agree wholeheartedly! I have done basketball action shots for a couple of seasons now and I have found that it's so hard to get enough light on the court I just use my 50mm 1.4 wide open. I then just work with what I have.

The reason I'm getting the monolights is for individual portraits and maybe the small team group shot here or there. Thanks for the input. I may give the monolights a try for court-side shots in the future. All I have used in the past are a couple of speedlights that really didn't make a difference at all.

Most reactions

Back