$1000 to spend. what would you buy?

slammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, new to the forum :thumbup:

If you had a grand to spend on a new DLSR Camera and lenses, what would you buy? Also, where would you purchase it? Is there a store online I should look or maybe ebay, or should these be avoided?

The only thing I have of use for now for the new camera will be a tripod :lmao: , so everything I need will have to be included.

My current use for the camera will be taking pictures of my kids at school functions and such, outdoor play, and also maybe use while out on the boat enjoying nature. I would like to start out with one "do it all" lenses that will be able to reach out pretty far and still make an enjoyable photo.

Any and all thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated

I buy from www.bhphotovideo.com.

If I was spending $1000 on my first DSLR I'd go with a Tamron 17mm-50mm f/2.8 zoom lens ($450), and then put it on any of these bodies: Pentax K100D, Canon Rebel XT, or Nikon D40. Then spend anything left over on memory and batteries.

If you have to have the super zoom lens, then switch out the 17-50 f/2.8 with the super zoom of your choice, but I think you may find the low light capabilities of the fast zoom more of an advantage.

Thanks for your suggestions Matt, but how will I be able to capture pictures like this without the zoom?

The closest thing to a do it all lens I know of is the Sigma 50-500mm zoom (AKA BIGMA).I have read reviews from some people that really like it.The problem is it is large and heavy and probably not something you want to tote around all day.I do believe that the 50-500mm lens is about all of your 1000 budget though.
I may even recommend a superzoom (sometimes called a bridge camera)camera in your case.Something like the canon S3 IS that has a 12x zoom built in and you can buy screw on lens adapters to multiply the zoom even more if you need to.
There are some other superzooms made by sony and others also.
If you are not getting into photography as a serious hobby but just to get some nice shots of the family friends and nature than a superzoom may be just right for you.

Thanks for your suggestions Matt, but how will I be able to capture pictures like this without the zoom?

You won't be able to do it with a 28-300 do-it-all zoom either. To get a crop like that in camera with a 300mm lens on an APS-C DSLR you'd probably need to be within about 20 feet of the osprey. The National Geographic guys are probably using 600+mm prime lenses and teleconverters, and then cropping in post processing.

My suggestion of the fast zoom is because you'll find f/4 or f/5.6 to be a bit slow in low light situations like school functions indoors.

If school functions are even 25% of what you'll be shooting, save yourself a headache and go with an f/2.8 zoom...even if it means waiting and saving up some additional cash. When I originally purchased my 30D, I went with the Canon EF-S 17-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS and the EF 70-200 f/4L...it didn't take me long to realize the limitations of those lenses in low-light situations. I sold them on eBay and moved up to the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS and the EF 70-200 2.8L IS. Spent twice the price of the originals on both lenses, but it was worth EVERY penny. However, I still wouldn't be able to capture a picture like your example. Then again, I dont really care to.

I buy from www.bhphotovideo.com.

If I was spending $1000 on my first DSLR I'd go with a Tamron 17mm-50mm f/2.8 zoom lens ($450), and then put it on any of these bodies: Pentax K100D, Canon Rebel XT, or Nikon D40. Then spend anything left over on memory and batteries.

If you have to have the super zoom lens, then switch out the 17-50 f/2.8 with the super zoom of your choice, but I think you may find the low light capabilities of the fast zoom more of an advantage.

That Tamron lens won't work on a Nikon D40. It doesn't have a focus motor built into the lens, which is a requirement of the D40.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back