upper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a $1000 budget now.
i need a DSLR, and at least 1 lens(telezoom?) with macro
what would you professionals recommend?

i had this in mind(but dont hesitate to give me a better recommendation)
XTi Rebel Body
50mm f/1.8(also can somebody explain to me what the f/1.8 is?) i heard it was good
sigma AF 70-300mm APO macro lens
and
A 20$ tripod

No. Dont go with the Xti.

If you want to stick with Canon, grab a used 20D or 30D off of Adorama.

As for the lens, ask someone else. I use Nikon.

I have no idea what kit bundles you might be able to find with Canon, but if you're a member of Costco, you can get a Nikon D60 with the 18-55VR and 70-300VR lenses, both of which are excellent for $1099. Or for $875 you could get it with the 18-55VR / 55-200VR combo instead. Even cheaper, a D40 with the 18-55 (non-VR) and 55-200VR for $599.99. All those come with a 2GB SD card too. Macro? Get a Canon 250D 52mm close-up filter for about $80 and you could use it on either of those lenses and probably get closer than the Sigma 70-300 does (I think it does 1:2 macro). You might be able to find similar deals at B&H and Adorama too if you look around.

Dont get me wrong, the xti takes great pictures...but the awards for features and ergonomy go to the cheaper Nikons. A lot more user friendly. Better glass too.

But if you go with canon get a used 20D. You can grab one for about 450 bucks and have money left over for lenses/crap.

I shoot Nikon as well, so I can't comment on your choice. However the f/1.8 is the size of the maximum aperture of the lens. The smaller the number the more light that is let in to the sensor. f/1.8 is good, f/1.4 is better for allowing more light in, espacially when natural light is fleeting. IMO, you are far better off with the 50mm than the kit. Keep in mind, that it will present limitations, but you will also learn how to properly compose your shots quicker than with a zoom. You will miss the shots that a longer focal length lens will give you, but in the same breath, you're likely to be able to crop those shots harsher and still get outstanding images.

hmm well most of the ergonomic arguments against the XTi were because it was a smaller camera body than most and many a person with big hands felt that it was too small.
Though I will agree the kit lens with the camera was poor quality especially considering the rest of the canon line of lenses and the comparable nikon camera body.
However you look to be only getting the body and not the kit lens, and after the release of the newer XT camera (a camera body that is more about numbers than about improving the quality of body) the price of the XTi will have dropped.
The f1.8 is the apature of the camera and a simple answer (for I only understand simple) is that f1.8 is a very large apature and thus is capable of very fast shutter speeds at these larger apatures ( smaller apatures have a larger f number ). F1.8 is the biggest that the lens can do.
As for your idea of a kit - it looks ok - I say any tripod is better than no tripod, but don't expect miricals from a cheap one (and becareful they are never made to that high a quality). A fast lens (the 50mm) and the sigma which is a good all commers lens, though I am glad to see you going for the APO version, the cheaper non APO is a worse lens - though it gets better results on film cameras.
That kit should give you the ability to have a good stab at most areas of photography -

Though I will agree the kit lens with the camera was poor quality especially considering the rest of the canon line of lenses and the comparable nikon camera body.
Is the Canon kit lens really that bad? The Nikon 18-55 is pretty dinky build wise, but still capable of taking pretty darn nice photos. I've had all three versions of it now and aside from speed (and ugly bokeh) have never really found it all that lacking.

XTi Rebel Body
50mm f/1.8(also can somebody explain to me what the f/1.8 is?) i heard it was good
and
A 20$ tripod

This is a great choice for a starter camera. The quality of images will only be limited by the lenses you choose. The quality of images the XTi will take are as good as the 20D, 30D and 40D. The others do have more features, but they may not be for the beginner. The kit lens will take wonderful images as well as the 50mm. I owned a Sigma 70-300 back in the day. It's definetely the sharpest in it's class, however it's a little soft on the long end. With that said, IMO, you wont find a better zoom lens in that price range. You'll have to spend ALOT more for superb quality.

The XTi will last you for a long time. Throw an L lens on there one day and you'll be even happier.

well its more of a view I have collected from the words of many others - but the general view is that whilst it is capable glass and you can take some nice shots on it - its just not up to standard by canon glass standards

btw, can a DSLR camera record video like those digital point and shoot camera?

XTi Rebel Body
and
A 20$ tripod

I did almost the same as that but with the 30d.

depending what you shoot you may regret not having something a bit wider.

as for understanding the nifty fifty (the canon 50mm 1.8) and other lenses try this site

I Really like my set up, but I think in the next couple of months ill get a wider lens so I can take pictures of cars, at shows, and maybe some buildings.

you can take buildings and cars with the 50mm but you have to stand quite far back, and depending how busy the place is where you are shooting you will get alot of peopl walk in front of you.:)

What are you going to be usung your camera for?

Most reactions

Back