10D or 300D?

Also, is there a way we can opt for NOT having the flash being popping up on 10D IF we do not want it?

Flash is a very difficult area!

I'll throw in a quick plug for the 300D. I've been shooting this camera for several months now under all sorts of conditions, and have yet to be let down. Great autofocus, pretty fast write time, great color rendition, etc. The 10D has a few more features, but as far as image quality goes it's the same processor, so should be the same. I shoot everything from indoor hockey games to outdoor soccer games to portrait work, etc.

hmm...thats interesting!!

You mean to say all the pics in whiteshark photography was taken by a 300D?

Its the image quality that should matter the most. What are the extra features in 10D? And how does it help to get a better photograph?

Yeah basically the 10D is a slightly 'heavier duty' version of the 300D. The innards are all the same. I think you get a couple extra autofocus options on the 10D, but it's been awhile since I compared them side-by-side.

IMO, the 300D is probably the best bang-for-the-buck DSLR out there.

Put it this way as well--I'm going to start shooting weddings and senior portraits and stuff this summer, and I have no worries or reservations at all about shooting my 300D for those.

Shark and wwjoeld are right on the money with the differences. Both cameras have the same image sensor. The 10D has a faster burst rate and a metal body. Autofocus speeds are roughly equivalent.

Does the metal body affects anything at all in the long run?? How about different weather conditions??

Whats a burst rate??

danalec99 said:
Does the metal body affects anything at all in the long run?? How about different weather conditions??

Whats a burst rate??

Burst rate is when you're set in 'rapid fire' mode, if you just hold the shutter release down, it continues to take pictures. My 300D will rattle off 4 or 5 shots in the space of about a second and a half, the 10D will shoot just a little bit faster and will shoot 8 or 9 (if I remember right) before it has to stop to record them to the CF card.

The metal body is really personal preference. It adds a bit of weight, but will be more durable long-term. As has been brought up though, I think one of the differences between film and digital cameras is that you could buy a 35mm SLR 40 years ago and expect to keep it most of your life. A DSLR, with the constant computer upgrades, will last awhile, but I don't think any of us expect to keep our DSLRs 30 or 40 years.

To respond to your email, Daniel, if money were no object and I could have either/or, I'd go with the 10D simply becuase it does have a couple more features, but considering that I do have a budget, I'm quite happy with my 300D and using that extra to get lenses. The lens is what really makes the photo anyway.

:D

Thanks John.

I do not think 'Burst rate' would affect me, since I'm not a photo journalist and I do not work for a sports team, which requires multiple pictures in a sec or more. Hense, I can ignore that factor.

I think I could probably ignore the aspect of 'metal body', since 10D is not THE DSLR. Its just a very exceptional DSLR for a beginner. If we were talking about 1D and 300D. I would defenitely vouch for the 1D.

But the comparison here is between 10D and 300D, and I gather 300D is a better option for a beginner, even though I was keen on getting the 10D.

Its the lens that makes the diference, and that should matter!

markc, this is the copy of our conversation we had couple of days ago:

I recommend starting with a 50mm. For the 10D, the 50/1.8 is an inexpensive but decent lens

danalec99 wrote:
Does Canon has a 50/1.8?

Yes, and a more expensive 50/1.4. Mind you, those will become effectively 80/1.8 and 80/1.4 on the D10 because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film. It will still be a good starting lens because you will be shooting with just one focal length. You'll just be limited in the kind of landscapes you will be able to shoot.

Could you translate this in plain english, please? Say I'm going online lens hunting for a 300D/10D, what/where should I search for?? Is it 50/1.8 or 80/1.8? And which brand?

markc said:
Because the size of the sensor on the 10D is smaller than film, you need to multiply the focal length of any lens you put on it by 1.6.

A 50mm lens on a 10D or 300D acts like a 80mm lens would on a film camera.
An 85mm lens becomes a 135mm lens.

The one in particular I'm talking about is made by Canon.

Here's a comparison of the 50mm f1.4 and the 50mm f1.8 lenses. The 1.4 lens is more expensive, but I thought it was worth it for the kinds of pictures I do.

Something I'm kind of curious about and don't know for sure. The 300D comes in the kit version, with the 18-55mm lens (which is what I've got). Since that lens was specifically designed for the 300D, is that 18-55 a true focal length for this camera (already adjusted), or a 35mm focal length?

Shark said:
markc said:
Because the size of the sensor on the 10D is smaller than film, you need to multiply the focal length of any lens you put on it by 1.6.

A 50mm lens on a 10D or 300D acts like a 80mm lens would on a film camera.
An 85mm lens becomes a 135mm lens.

The one in particular I'm talking about is made by Canon.

Here's a comparison of the 50mm f1.4 and the 50mm f1.8 lenses. The 1.4 lens is more expensive, but I thought it was worth it for the kinds of pictures I do.

Something I'm kind of curious about and don't know for sure. The 300D comes in the kit version, with the 18-55mm lens (which is what I've got). Since that lens was specifically designed for the 300D, is that 18-55 a true focal length for this camera (already adjusted), or a 35mm focal length?
No it still uses the focal length of the lens which you must still take into account the crop factor.

Most reactions

Back