10D or 300D?

Shark wrote:

markc wrote:
Because the size of the sensor on the 10D is smaller than film, you need to multiply the focal length of any lens you put on it by 1.6.

A 50mm lens on a 10D or 300D acts like a 80mm lens would on a film camera.
An 85mm lens becomes a 135mm lens.

The one in particular I'm talking about is made by Canon.

Here's a comparison of the 50mm f1.4 and the 50mm f1.8 lenses. The 1.4 lens is more expensive, but I thought it was worth it for the kinds of pictures I do.

Something I'm kind of curious about and don't know for sure. The 300D comes in the kit version, with the 18-55mm lens (which is what I've got). Since that lens was specifically designed for the 300D, is that 18-55 a true focal length for this camera (already adjusted), or a 35mm focal length?

I am in the process of a change of mind. Think may be I should go in for the 300D to start with.

For 300D can one use 50mm/f1.4 lens. OR does it ONLY function with the 18-55mm that comes with it?

If one can use multiple lenses on a 300D, should I get the 80/4.1 or 50/4.1?

I just picked up the Rebel 300D One reason was I got a good deal on it, and I have been using the other Canon Rebel for a few years now. The advantage was all my existing lenses would fit. I am only an amateur/hobby photographer , but I am hoping to grow with the camera, even though it is a little out of my experience level.

Carl

Carl, what lens do you use? And can we see a sample(s) of your works??

markc, could we see a sample(s) of your works??

The 300D and the 10D will use any of the basic Canon lenses. The 18-55 is specially made for the 300D, so it can't be used on anything else, but everything will fit the 300D.

There is no 80/1.4. The 50/1.4 acts like an 80/1.4 on the 300D and 10D because of the multiplier.

The 50/1.4 is over three times the price of the 50/1.8, so I would only get it if the small difference is going to matter to you. As a beginner, I would go with the 1.8 for now. If you buy it used off eBay and take care of it, you can sell it again for about the same price if you want to upgrade. I've done that with a couple of lenses.

danalec99 said:
Carl, what lens do you use? And can we see a sample(s) of your works??

markc, could we see a sample(s) of your works??
Sure. You can click on the "WWW" button below to see mine. They are from a couple of different cameras and lenses (including the 10D). I have to point out again that the individual photographer, not the equipment, is what makes an image what it is.

One of my pet peeves is when someone says, "Oh, you must have a really nice camera!" (I've had it happen) My response is, "Yes, and Picasso had really nice paintbrushes. You should see the pen Shakespeare used. It's a beaut!" I know several people who take amazing images with a $10 plastic Holga.

I will often ask what equipment, etc, a photographer used, but usually only if I'm curious as to the technical aspect of things. A good camera helps eliminate barriers, but it's not what makes a good picture "good".

Excellent pictures!!

A good camera helps eliminate barriers, but it's not what makes a good picture "good".

I see the point now:). Thank you sir.

Where can I find 50/1.4 and/or 50/1.8??

The other lenses I have are a 28mm to 80mm and a 70mm to 300mm, plus a 2x extender. I was told that the flash is not compatible, but have not tried to see. Since I have only had the camera for 2 days, I am really looking forward to this weekend to see how it does. I will post as soon as I can.

Carl

Can we have the pop up flash in 300D to function when we want?? OR does it pop up all the time?

Shark wrote:
There are several shooting modes. Some let the flash run automatically, some give the user control over it.

Which are the modes that we can control?

The pop- up flash works like the Rebel G model. It can be controlled. I am going to see if the flash I have will work on it. I had mixed answers, and finally the last guy said that flash I have(Vivital 728afc) might work. I have my doubts though.
Carl

Danalec99, why don't you go to the Canon website and download the pdf manual, and answer all your questions about what the 300D can and can't do.

I have the 300D with the kit lens (18-55mm), and the 50mm 1.8, and I'm going to purchase a 75-300mm in the next few weeks. Check out my website if you want further examples of shots from a 300D.

http://www.anti-rejection.com/photography/

markc said:
One of my pet peeves is when someone says, "Oh, you must have a really nice camera!" (I've had it happen) My response is, "Yes, and Picasso had really nice paintbrushes. You should see the pen Shakespeare used. It's a beaut!"

A few days ago I was showing a friend some recent pictures I took of him riding, and his first comment was, "wow, that camera takes really nice pictures"
I think he was just oblivious to the fact that some cameras have manual settings, and the photographer has total control over the image.
But it still hurt :(

pilgrim said:
I think he was just oblivious to the fact that some cameras have manual settings, and the photographer has total control over the image.
But it still hurt :(
I think that's why it can be so hard to make fine-art sales, too. It's really bad here in Rochester, home of Kodak and "You Press the Button. We Do the Rest." Wow... so easy...

Everyone thinks they can do it. Well, if they really wanted to, that is. I mean, how hard can it be?

Pfffft!

Markc,

I finally zeroed in on the 10D. With the couple of hundred dollar difference, I figured it would be nice I picked the metal body!

And I've ordered the EF50 f1.4. Waiting for the online order to arrive.

What do you think of EF 75-300mm? Could I do landscape with it or the 50/1.4?

Thanks,
danalec

Most reactions

Back