12 exposures?

12 would be good for testing stuff out, like a new developer or technique or something. So then if it doesn't work so good, you didn't waste a whole 36 frames. But if you are going to do that, it's better to bulk load anyway.

Depends. If you're in a hurry and are just catching a few images of one subject, one area, etc., then 12 exposures would suit fine.

Obviously the better value is the 36 exposures, and when I have no time pressure and am wandering around, doing lots of bracketing, it makes more sense to have 36.

About 5 years ago when I worked at the camera store/lab I read a consumer report that said the average American snapshooter shoots less than 20 shots a year. We used to get old ladies in that hated anything but the 12 exp rolls (and we didn't carry much of that), because it literally took them forever to shoot 24 photographs.

I have a friend that bulk loads all of her rolls with 20 or less exposures. She likes to be able to switch films frequently.

ksmattfish said:
She likes to be able to switch films frequently.
That's that main reason why I bought films with less exposures. I like to experiment a lot with my shots. If I wanted to get a certain type of look like B&W versus color or more contrast versus less, etc, I would have to finish off a roll in order to experiment with different effects.

That's just one of the reasons why I went digital because I can just change my camera settings which is similar to using different films. It's kind of like experimental bracketing. It's also easier to shoot my shots back to back with the same composition by quickly changing my camera settings.

Anyway, I think Matt has it right in that most snapshooters won't finish off a roll in a timely matter.

With 120 size film you get 8 to 16 exposure per roll depending on frame size.

6x9 = 8 exp
6x7 = 10 exp
6x6 = 12 exp
6x4.5 = 16 exposures

220 size film is twice as long, and with most cameras you'll get twice as many exposure (but some lose or gain 1 exposure)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back