14-24mm f2.8 - Yay or Nay?

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got to play with a 14-24mm f2.8 today. I like how this lens feels. I am strongly considering getting one, but I am unsure as to what I would use it for? Besides landscapes, what are common uses for a 14-24mm f2.8? What are the pros and cons to this lens? My current camera bodies are D3100, D7000, and D800.

Thanks

I have this lens and love it, would never part with it. It is hand down the best wide angle zoom lens, ever. Most test I have read say it equals, in some cases beats, most primes at each focal length. The cons are price (got mine used in mint cond so not too bad compared to other pro grade zooms) and the filter use issue, which isn't a problem for me because I use the Lee holder, a little cumbersome but I have learned to like it. The lens is sharp at all focal lengths and at all apertures. What I love about it is that distortion is VERY well controlled for a wide lens. You will get perspective distortion but not all that crazy barrel and pin cushion distortion for which wide zooms are notorious. Really though, and I have yet to fully explore the lens for this purpose, but I think it would make a kick ass walk around, street photography lens (albeit and expensive one) for someone who doesn't do much landscape stuff. I have found that the minimum focus distance on this beast is about 5-6 inches from the front of the bulbous lens front. Open it to 2.8 and you can get some awesome shallow DOF stuff, the bokeh is pretty darn smooth too. Would make for some cool portraits I think. Great lens for night sky stuff if your into that. I think to get the most out of this lens whether in landscape or anything else, the key is too get right up on objects and really make it seems like they are jumping out of the picture. It really adds some cool depth to the photo. For landscape I have found it difficult to actually find foreground elements utilize where it is physically possible to even get that close without laying on the ground.The vastness of the image you capture at 14mm can actually be boring if you don't keep those interesting elements up close. Here are a few samples. The grill on the car is about a foot or so away from my lens.

$heartbeat.JPG

$illinois.JPG

$DSC_17072.JPG

After having used a wide angle zoom lens, i dont understand the need for the zoom.

I'd say go for it if you have a good price.

JT - that #1 car is a fabulous photograph

I just got my FF camera and my wide angle is so much better than on crop.

Having only a DX body I have toyed with the idea of this lens. But I keep telling myself that the 24mm end of my 24-70 2.8 is fine and 14-24 isnt worth the cost.

I do see you have a D800 so might be more worth it to you.

Having only a DX body I have toyed with the idea of this lens. But I keep telling myself that the 24mm end of my 24-70 2.8 is fine and 14-24 isnt worth the cost.

One of Nikon's best fixed wide angle is a 24mm and its a highly praised lens. I think you've got it made.

Having only a DX body I have toyed with the idea of this lens. But I keep telling myself that the 24mm end of my 24-70 2.8 is fine and 14-24 isnt worth the cost. I do see you have a D800 so might be more worth it to you.

Yeah, I kept telling myself that too, but I stopped fooling myself. I'm in the market for a wider angle than my Nikon 24-120mm F4 I use as a walk around. Sometimes 24mm ain't wide enough on DX and 16mm is too wide for my taste (as I found out from the 16-85mm I had and sold). Although I'm not going to plunk down for the awesome Nikon 14-24 2.8 I am looking at the Sigma 18-35 1.8 as that extra stops would be beneficial for astroscapes I like to do...

But as far as uses for wide angles besides landscapes is just using it as a walk around or kids portraits I would think. That's what I have used the wide side of the 16-85mm for. YMMV.

One of Nikon's best fixed wide angle is a 24mm and its a highly praised lens. I think you've got it made.

You do realize that 14mm is nearly half of 24mm right?

Ok, 24, divided by 2, carry the one, multiplied by the speed of light and then divide by the number of minutes of my life wasted on this already.. hmm..

Dang, you know what, I think your right! Rotfl - sorry, just couldn't resist.

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

You said: "After having used a wide angle zoom lens, i dont understand the need for the zoom." Then you went on to say what I quoted (that the 24mm is enough).

14mm offers a much wider field of view.

You said: "After having used a wide angle zoom lens, i dont understand the need for the zoom." Then you went on to say what I quoted (that the 24mm is enough).

14mm offers a much wider field of view.

Those are two separate and unrelated things. 24mm will be enough in most occasions, of course sometimes it won't be, there are no absolutes.

Those are two separate and unrelated things. 24mm will be enough in most occasions, of course sometimes it won't be, there are no absolutes.

No, not they aren't unrelated lol

Not to mention 24mm "being enough for most occasions" is completely subjective and 100% your opinion. The next guy can say the exact opposite.... And his opinion would be just as valid as yours if not more so if he's been shooting for years. Not to mention there is a reason the Nikon 12-24 and 14-24 are popular glass. Not to mention the Tokina 11-16, which I believe you said you purchased, is also quite popular for many occasions. Lots of people like shooting wide as much as possible. My dad is one of them.

No, not they aren't unrelated lol

That's called a double negative, which forms a positive, in which-case you agree with me however unintentionally. The zoom part was said in mind when i thought about my wide angle lens, because i never use its zoom. The 24mm was said in mind with nikons highly praised 24mm prime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back