14-24mm f2.8 - Yay or Nay?

Thanks for all of the help.

I went ahead and got the Nikon 14-24mm. I made a few indoor house shots, but other than that I really haven't had much time to try it out. The distortion the lens gives is something I will have to get used too. Is that distortion desirable for most people?

Thanks
Oh P.S. Love the guitar and church photos above!

Thanks for all of the help.

I went ahead and got the Nikon 14-24mm. I made a few indoor house shots, but other than that I really haven't had much time to try it out. The distortion the lens gives is something I will have to get used too. Is that distortion desirable for most people?

Thanks
Oh P.S. Love the guitar and church photos above!

A lot of distortion can be corrected (you'll lose some of the picture to a crop effect from distortion correction in programs like Lightroom). But the distortion effect is desirable to some (think of fisheye shots).

With a bit of research (watch some YouTube reviews, usage of the lens, etc), and a lot of practice and use of the lens yourself, you'll figure out exactly how you want to use the lens. Same with any gear :)

Congrats on the purchase by the way.

So I have had the 14-24mm for a couple weeks now. I am not sure what type of photos are recommended considering the supposedly desireable distortion that this ultra wide angle lens provides. Besides indoor room shots what are some other photo ideas? I'm having difficulty finding ideas for this lens.
Thanks!

Well you can't do everything but, you can certainly do a lot with this lens and have fun with it as well

Car Shots
night sky shots
City Scapes
Land Scapes
Interior Shots
Distorted fun shots
People shots
Sport Shots

IF you want to get crazy with this lens and get real close to your subject at really wide it gives really cool perpectives

here are a few examples.

you can do people looking normal if you shoot at 24

dude on skooter by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

little distorted but gives a cool dominance vibe

zeah grinding by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Augie by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

zeah on a_rock by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

josh_2 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

augie by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

here are a few fun object photos

broken string by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

frontleftcropped2 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

figurine by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

hope this helps, it is a very fun lens and just try taking photos of things at different focal lengths and close to your subject and far away from your subject and see if what you like

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back