$150 budget to expand equipment

A flash is an essential part of any camera kit. Buy a flash. It'll open up whole new avenues for you...

And if you're really on a budget and can't swing a Nikon, pick up a Metz, or a generic sunpak or vivitar.

Man I'm glad someone else said this. I was starting to think maybe I misread the thread since it instantly turned into a lens-fest.

Everyone should have an external flash with the capability to redirect the light (bounce off ceiling/wall/etc.) in their kit. It's super critical in so many situations.

Man I'm glad someone else said this. I was starting to think maybe I misread the thread since it instantly turned into a lens-fest.

Oh sure, just kick me out of the car... Don't even pull over to the curb or anything... Just kick me right on out...

Bifurcator said:
A flash unit sounds good though - I bet you could pick up something fairly useful for $150.
:cat::eek:ldman::cat:

I dunno ...

I went a long time without a flash ... being forced to use available light really makes you understand light better ....

Oh sure, just kick me out of the car... Don't even pull over to the curb or anything... Just kick me right on out...

It's payback for your whole "HARD DRIVES DIE IN A YEAR! FEAR FOR YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL!!" thing earlier. :lol:

I dunno ...

I went a long time without a flash ... being forced to use available light really makes you understand light better ....

Yeah, certainly a fine point, but having a flash also makes for better photos in a lot of situations. I, personally, do whatever I can to avoid using the flash... but when I need it, I am *very* thankful that I have it.

Yeah, certainly a fine point, but having a flash also makes for better photos in a lot of situations. I, personally, do whatever I can to avoid using the flash... but when I need it, I am *very* thankful that I have it.

Agreed. Just wondering if it should be from that early $150

Any reason not to buy a 3rd party flash? I believe you can find them below $100.

I'm a Canon person so not even sure if 3rd party like Sunpak will work on D80s.

I believe OP is interested in portraits (I think?). 50mm f/1.8 is nice indoors for moving subject but for portraits do you not normally shoot @ f/8 or f/11? He already has lens that cover this. I would recommend flash anyways because freezing subject seem to work better (for me) then faster lens - cheaper too :)

The only reason to avoid 3rd party flash, in my book, is that you might lose TTL capability. This is a nice feature, but not a necessity. I have an old vivitar 283 which still performs well (I put one of those gizmos on it to drop the flash voltage allowing me to use it on the 30D). I use it now mostly as a slave since I bought the 430EX.

A used Metz 45 can be had for around $150 and is superior to most other flashes (even with TTL).

I believe that the OP would benefit from sticking to one thing at a time for a bit though.

An SB-400 is only a little above $100 and gives you full i-TTL compatibility. And an SB-600 is only about $170 which gives you all that, remote firing capability, fully rotatable head for bouncing in any direction (the SB-400 flash head flips up for bouncing too!). I'd go with either of these rather than an off-brand that won't let you use Nikon's Creative Lighting System features. Nikon's CLS system is one of the best things about the Nikon system. Since you already have a D80 with a built-in flash commander feature, I'd save your next $170 for an SB-600 flash, or try to find a mint used one.

Agreed. Just wondering if it should be from that early $150

I find that most things newer folks tend to start complaining about are things along the lines of:
  • Why do my flash pictures have such harsh shadows?
  • Why is there all this nasty glare on this picture of my daughter?
  • How do I get nice pictures indoors at family functions and such?
  • I'm taking pictures for my company- they want shots of all the executives, but all my pictures look harsh... why?
And yeah, interestingly that last one comes up quite a bit. This isn't even getting into some of the more creative stuff that comes up occasionally (see Bifur's post).

In my experience, a decent flash is a very early necessity... not a want, but a need. It covers all these situations and more for a relatively small investment.

Later on as you find you have more advanced lighting needs, you can go absolutely crazy, but having at least a single bounce-flash is the bare minimum that absolutely everyone should have in their kit.

(btw, I also recommend getting a plastic diffuser, but that's a $15 item you can pickup anytime)

Make the diffuser our of a white coffee can lid and $0.05 worth of silicone rubber. :p

I wonder if jteknet is still reading or if we scared him off already?

2x Vivitar 283 on Ebay - $80
2x light stands - $40
2x umbrella adapters - $30
1 white shoot through umbrella - $20
Cactus radio trigger/receiver kit and extra receiver - $40

Having your photos look as good as mine - Priceless

$210. A little over budget, but you could start off with one light and knock about $75 off that.

www.strobist.com

Love that 283 -- and to think I bought mine new about 25 years ago and spent alot more :) -- I still use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back