18-200mm Grinding noise

nikonhopper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have their 18-200mm DX lens make a grinding sound when you turn it on? Not when focusing, but when it turns on? Mine does it consistently now and I've seen posts online of people with similar problems. But no one said how it was fixed. Just trying to see if I need to just send it in to Nikon, a local photo shop, or is this something easy to fix?

Turn off VR and then restart the camera.
If you don't hear the sound the grinding noise is from the VR system activating, and it should be repaired, not an EZ fix.

VR should only be on when it's needed.
Nikon VR explained

I agree with what has been said, it needs checking by people who know what they are doing, good luck........

Thanks! Good tips. I tried it with VR off and it seems to still happen, although much less (less noise and shorter time period). If I turn on the camera with VR off then the first time it will make noise. Then if I toggle the power on/off it will be not have noise. But if I leave it off for 2 minutes and then turn it on again it grinds again the first time.

I've noticed that it will rarely grind when focusing as I got it to happen once today during my testing.

I'll look to get someone to look at it. Thanks again for the advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back