1st Attempt at HDR C&C please

blind1587

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at crating an HDR image, so I really have no idea what I am doing other than what I have researched online. The photo is at an old mental institution campus that was closed down in the 80's and re-opened recently as a park.

Please tell me if this is a good first shot or what I need to work on. Also, not so great with adjustments....still slowly learning photoshop , so any comments or insight for post processing would be great.

Taken at F16 ISO400. Aperture priority

This is my first attempt at crating an HDR image, so I really have no idea what I am doing other than what I have researched online. The photo is at an old mental institution campus that was closed down in the 80's and re-opened recently as a park.

Please tell me if this is a good first shot or what I need to work on. Also, not so great with adjustments....still slowly learning photoshop , so any comments or insight for post processing would be great.

The actual pic would be helpful. Just sayin

The actual pic would be helpful. Just sayin

Yes, somehow I forgot to attach the photo. First photo is of the original image I was referring to.

The other is an HDR attempt from this evening, including the original and 2 adjusted.

Please tell me what I can do better to improve images.

Thanks

Attachments

• park.jpg
    park.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 188
  • lake original.jpg
    lake original.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 155
  • lake1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
  • lake2.jpg
    lake2.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 160
The parking lot shot is overprocessed. What process are you using to create this? There's a muuuuuch easier way to accomplish this.

Yes, way over processed. Colors are just too pure and things are really dark so can't see any detail. I can see some dirty spots on your sensor showing up on both sides of the sky.

Yes, way over processed. Colors are just too pure and things are really dark so can't see any detail. I can see some dirty spots on your sensor showing up on both sides of the sky.

Thanks for pointing out those spots! Will work on the procesing.

The parking lot shot is overprocessed. What process are you using to create this? There's a muuuuuch easier way to accomplish this.

Okay thanks for the input. I am using photoshop cs6. File>automate>merge to hdr pro.
Then I adjust the image in hdr pro, admittedly I need to put in some more time doing so.

You say there is a much easier way?

Howdy.
All the pics have a need to have the basics done right before the processing starts.
If you have a horizon then it has to be straight in camera while the pic is being taken. Never get into "I will fix it in post" as it will limit what you may want to achieve with the finished picture.
You have to look at exposure times and composition. If you are composing a pic and there is a bright sun in the background then it is a tough battle to get the foreground with any level of detail. If you compose the pic with just the sun and elements closer to the sun then exposure control becomes a bit easier. If this is the type of landscapes that you want to take then an investment in a filter system to lessen the sun effect may be in order, be warned that good filters cost a lot of money and that is why I dont own any.
The pics you attached are a bit of a halfway house between full silhouette and detailed landscape. Do one or the other and I guarantee that the end results will be be better.
Example:
Dscf7949aSmall.jpg

Notice how the foreground is devoid of detail but it accentuates the figures on the sand dune and as I have metered for the sun it also removes the detail from the people

As for the HDR / Tone Mapping please have fun with your pictures. Some people get very anal about what should and should not be done to a photograph but these are your pics so do what you want to them. Remember that a little can go a long way (especially with raw garlic and photograph processing).

I wouldn't use the automated merge tool. I would use Layers. Use blending mode Lighten or Screen and you'll find your results will be much better. This was done with the same method, using 6 exposures of just the car:

The final product by Michael Long, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back