What's new

1st attempt @ shots of children

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
535
Reaction score
32
Location
Eastern Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took these shots of the restaurant owner and her children during a shoot of their new restaurant while I was doing shots for their website.
How can I improve the SHOTS which I just took with no thought or purpose. Just a point and shoot?

$10-3-12 (1 of 1).webp$10-3-12 (1 of 1)-2.webp$10-3-12 Julian  (1 of 1)-2.webp
 
Last edited:
THose aren't portraits. They are snaps of kids. Portraits require some thought to the posing, background, composition, lighting... There was no thought put into those.
Start first with good composition. Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.
 
Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk. - Edward Weston
 
Last edited:
The first shot has a nice "look" at the boy, with his sister rendered out of focus in the foreground. I like the lens and the way it renders the scene; MANY people from western countries, like the USA, have a very negative visceral reaction when they encounter OOF foreground objects in photos; in Asia, that effect is looked upon much more-favorably. it's one of those odd cultural differences that people involved in sociology and the field of visual perception have taken note of. What lens is that? WHat f/stop?

The second shot looks like wayyyyy too much highlight rescue was needed to bring the highlights back to where they are...the processing looks bad on that shot. The first shot was all in shade, so the exposure was good, and the image looks rich, and clear. This shot looks like the clarity slider is down, and it looks like blur has been added. Not good.

#3, boy in among the framing...AMAZING ability for a digital to hold no-flash detail in the kid AND to hold the bare lightbulb where it was at! A few years ago, this shot would have been impossible to do. Not a really good photo... I dunno...shooting shots like this, I have found that it takes very careful attention to fundamentals....the light level is so low in evening shade like this...it's just...very challenging unless the people are all at about the same distance, and the shutter speeds are slowish, and the depth of field is kind of skimpy, so the ISO's need to be wayyyy up there...and the light is somewhat low in contrast--unless there's a light source, anywhere in the frame, and then THAT becomes an issue...

These types of social photography situations are the kinds that an experienced photojournalist, documentary photographer, or wedding photographer can shoot, and can "work", and can produce some decent pictures in. For the rest of people, these kinds of scenarios are where FAST prime lenses and top-grade gear really help, but even with that, it takes practice and skill to get good "Pictures". This time of night, white balance is a big issue too. Focus is critical also. It's very challenging to shoot these kinds of pictures, and to create anything "decent".
 
The first shot has a nice "look" at the boy, with his sister rendered out of focus in the foreground. I like the lens and the way it renders the scene; MANY people from western countries, like the USA, have a very negative visceral reaction when they encounter OOF foreground objects in photos; in Asia, that effect is looked upon much more-favorably. it's one of those odd cultural differences that people involved in sociology and the field of visual perception have taken note of. What lens is that? WHat f/stop?

The second shot looks like wayyyyy too much highlight rescue was needed to bring the highlights back to where they are...the processing looks bad on that shot. The first shot was all in shade, so the exposure was good, and the image looks rich, and clear. This shot looks like the clarity slider is down, and it looks like blur has been added. Not good.

#3, boy in among the framing...AMAZING ability for a digital to hold no-flash detail in the kid AND to hold the bare lightbulb where it was at! A few years ago, this shot would have been impossible to do. Not a really good photo... I dunno...shooting shots like this, I have found that it takes very careful attention to fundamentals....the light level is so low in evening shade like this...it's just...very challenging unless the people are all at about the same distance, and the shutter speeds are slowish, and the depth of field is kind of skimpy, so the ISO's need to be wayyyy up there...and the light is somewhat low in contrast--unless there's a light source, anywhere in the frame, and then THAT becomes an issue...

These types of social photography situations are the kinds that an experienced photojournalist, documentary photographer, or wedding photographer can shoot, and can "work", and can produce some decent pictures in. For the rest of people, these kinds of scenarios are where FAST prime lenses and top-grade gear really help, but even with that, it takes practice and skill to get good "Pictures". This time of night, white balance is a big issue too. Focus is critical also. It's very challenging to shoot these kinds of pictures, and to create anything "decent".

I focused on the boy as the girl preferred not having her picture taken. Never knew the cultural thing, interesting. I used the Nikkor 2.8 24x70 which I use w/ 90% of all my shots. (ISO 320 62mm 2.8)

I did mess with the 2nd shot to much. Poor image.

The ISO on the boy was at 2800. It was a "there he is shot" not planned.

I will practice more.

Thank you.
 
Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk. - Edward Weston

When learning to walk you do every time you fall. It takes effort to learn to walk just like it takes effort to compose a good image when your starting out. After a while it becomes second nature just like walking.


THose aren't portraits. They are snaps of kids. Portraits require some thought to the posing, background, composition, lighting... There was no thought put into those.
Start first with good composition. Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

I completely agree. They are not portraits just unplanned snapshots.
 
Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk. - Edward Weston

When learning to walk you do every time you fall. It takes effort to learn to walk just like it takes effort to compose a good image when your starting out. After a while it becomes second nature just like walking.


THose aren't portraits. They are snaps of kids. Portraits require some thought to the posing, background, composition, lighting... There was no thought put into those.
Start first with good composition. Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

I completely agree. They are not portraits just unplanned snapshots.

As did I...I know I misspoke here by saying portrait. I apologize. They are not good shots.
 
Here is the SHOT with no LR applied...
$Carrie and chidren (1 of 1).webp
 
It looks better without the Lightroom "help", in my opinion. it is a bit low in contrast, as shown, but that could be changed.
 
I do not want to start another thread. This shot was taken while the sun was going down as I sat on a bench waiting for a concert to start at the University of Iowa Homecoming. D300s 70x200 2.8
$Pencrest University of Iowa 2012 Homecoming (1 of 1)-2.webp
 
Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk. - Edward Weston
Why would you CONSULT them? They should be a natural part of your shooting. You should automatically know to eliminate distractions, not to tilt your lens to the left and to aim for the most impact.
I will do a set here and there focusing on composition and using it creatively, however I'd never think to 'consult' the rules of composition in order to shoot portraits and I shoot them on a regular basis.


The new shot is much better for an environmental portrait. It will crop beautifully into any standard size. Level your horizon and fix your white balance.
 
How can I improve portrait type shots?

Composition
Lighting
Focus
Engage the subject

That is all, great insights.

Hey, myvinyl333; I think this session was extremely challenging, and you have stepped up and met the challenge. Photographing someone who apparently doesn't want her picture taken is one of the hardest assignments you could face.

Not knowing how the children responded to you, I will have to guess. When you find a reluctant subject, try to warm her up first with a little small talk. Talk to her mother first, and perhaps her brother, then don't try to make her do anything right away, but simply walk around, talking, taking pictures of anything but the girl, and when she begins to respond, then ask her if you can take her picture.

If she warms to the idea, ask for simple poses, such as a smile, or to look at the camera. Try not to make her the center of attention because I get the idea that she has things on her mind. Eventually, she will begin to loosen up a little, and then you can offer more direction as to pose, etc.

Overall, a great job. Keep up the good work!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom