1st attempt @ shots of children

THose aren't portraits. They are snaps of kids. Portraits require some thought to the posing, background, composition, lighting... There was no thought put into those.
Start first with good composition. Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

I changed to post state SHOT with NO purpose. Just a point and shoot.

I once worked for a design firm where we routinely took record shots of buildings in preparation for remodeling. The shots were hoped to be able to answer future questions anyone had bout the project, and to document the changes as the project developed. It is very difficult to know what needs to be in the picture, especially when they are taken ahead of the time when someone wishes to view the photos.

If you go there again, try to get overall shots, and lots of detail shots as well. Good luck!

Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk. - Edward Weston
Why would you CONSULT them? They should be a natural part of your shooting. You should automatically know to eliminate distractions, not to tilt your lens to the left and to aim for the most impact.
I will do a set here and there focusing on composition and using it creatively, however I'd never think to 'consult' the rules of composition in order to shoot portraits and I shoot them on a regular basis.

The new shot is much better for an environmental portrait. It will crop beautifully into any standard size. Level your horizon and fix your white balance.

I use LR4. Suggestions on white balance adjustment?

THose aren't portraits. They are snaps of kids. Portraits require some thought to the posing, background, composition, lighting... There was no thought put into those.
Start first with good composition. Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

I changed to post state SHOT with NO purpose. Just a point and shoot.

I once worked for a design firm where we routinely took record shots of buildings in preparation for remodeling. The shots were hoped to be able to answer future questions anyone had bout the project, and to document the changes as the project developed. It is very difficult to know what needs to be in the picture, especially when they are taken ahead of the time when someone wishes to view the photos.

If you go there again, try to get overall shots, and lots of detail shots as well. Good luck!
That is good advise. They just wanted shots to put on their website while the site says "under construction". I have been there twice and could spend a day there with all the various things that have been in that location. I would like to get some shots of the workers as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back