1st model shoot

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this weekend there were seminars, workshops, and model shoots going on at a college nearby. Way beyond what I even expected. It was amazing andis put on once a year. I can not wait for next year. Its a 4 day event, but I found out about it late and was only able to attend Saturday. Here are some shots from the stobe model shot. They werent saved with the highest of settings but they didnt lose too much detail, except for 6 his eyes looks blurred now (I guess it didnt like save). Let me know what you think.

BTW I am in love with strobes now and my eyes are set on a few!

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Last edited:
Very nicely done. I think your keylight might have been a touch hot in 5 and 6, but that's minor. The only other thought is perhaps a few slight crops to off-set the subjects from centre.

Very nicely done. I think your keylight might have been a touch hot in 5 and 6, but that's minor. The only other thought is perhaps a few slight crops to off-set the subjects from centre.

With the key light creating the hot spot would I have had to back the strobe down? I did close down the aperture but it just made the hot spot a little smaller but didnt get rid of it. Could the strobe have just been too close to the subject, would backing off diffuse a little more evenly?

With the key light creating the hot spot would I have had to back the strobe down? I did close down the aperture but it just made the hot spot a little smaller but didnt get rid of it. Could the strobe have just been too close to the subject, would backing off diffuse a little more evenly?

What modifier did you have on the key light ? as soon as you start moving lights away from the subject they become a smaller light source so you get harder light even with a softbox

Except for 1 and 2, all are overexposed photos and yea 6th is blurry

edit: btw I'm too looking into strobes, let me know if there's something perticular that catches your eyes

What modifier did you have on the key light ? as soon as you start moving lights away from the subject they become a smaller light source so you get harder light even with a softbox

There were a few different setups, Most were shot with a large softbox on the key light, with the exception of #1 and #6. Which had a huge 7-8' Octobox.

Except for 1 and 2, all are overexposed photos and yea 6th is blurry
As far as the overexposure, I didn't think they were. My monitor is not calibrated, but my prints match my lab so maybe my lab just prints darker. I might think 4 is a slight hair overexposed, but I have the RAW files for all of them so its not a big deal.
MohaimenKExcept for 1 and 2, all are overexposed photos and yea 6th is blurryMohaimenKExcept for 1 and 2, all are overexposed photos and yea 6th is blurry

Yeah, my work monitor is dimmed. But just looks like the light is hitting a bit hard. The whites seem too bright, and in BW the face looks as if she's geting hard light instead of soft light. I guess we need a little more expertert's opinion. I'm still a noob but that's just my take on it. Not to say you don't take good pic or anything :)

You cut off her fine ass shoes in the last one... Can you ask her where she got them?? ;)

You cut off her fine ass shoes in the last one... Can you ask her where she got them?? ;)

LOL Its funny you ask, I am 99% sure they are Candies, I remember when she took them off I think I saw the name on the inside!

Oh man I am SOOO jealous. I wish I could find something here in Toronto like that. Great shots, the lot of them. Not keep on cutting off the model's foot in the last shot. Boy she's sure a looker, though, even with missing toes.

Oh man I am SOOO jealous. I wish I could find something here in Toronto like that. Great shots, the lot of them. Not keep on cutting off the model's foot in the last shot. Boy she's sure a looker, though, even with missing toes.

I remember a few months ago I was thinking the same thing when ababysean was saying she was going to a shoot in a similar setting. I was thinking man I wish something like this would come up here in Michigan (I think ababysean is in FL?).

Anyways, I have been alot more social in the photog scene and when I went on the Worldwide photowalk two weeks ago I was hearing about this workshop at a local college. After a little research I found out it was put on by the Southwest Michigan Council of Camera Clubs (SWMCCC). This is the 38th year they have had this so it is extremely well planned and lasted for 4 days. Speakers were brought in from all over the country (and beyond). The one I really wanted to hear was from British Columbia, his name was Andre Cabuche from Kelowna, BC. He couldn't make it through customs because he didnt have a Work Visa! First time in 38 years I guess that this has happened.

The other one I wanted to see was pretty good as well though. Lewis Kemper, he is a member of the Explores of Light (one of only like 62 in the world) sponsored by Canon. He did a seminar on Light and composition and then went through his work on a recent trip to Iceland with a 2 other renowned photographers. It was amazing to say the least.

A lot of photo clubs have shoots and workshops once a month or so. You may want to check it out. If I would have been a member then I would have already known about this event. I met so many people and it was a great way to network. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to find something like this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back