1st Portrait

Rhodes7586

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First shot a a portrait C&C greatly appreciated. TIA 1)
Portrait-crop.jpg

Hello! The sky looks gorgeous, as does the little girl. It feels a bit disconnected to me though. Maybe if she was looking at the camera (good luck.. haha) But I LOVE THE COLORS!

It's an interesting take. I would also like it better if she was looking into the camera, and it looks like you missed the focus on the face/eyes a bit. Also, I would have liked to see either a little less or a little more of the body in there, it just seems funny where you cut her off for some reason

-tim

I think it would look a lot stronger if you filled the frame more with her. Crop down and on both sides.

I would like to ask a question: What are the guidelines for portrait photography? Or what makes it a portrait?
When I looked at this picture first, I couldn't immediately say if it was a portrait.
I believe having the main subject as human alone is not enough to call the frame as portrait.
Personally I would like to see more of a human in this shot.
But hey, I am not the authority:)

The sky looks to be the main subject, better exposed and the colors pop. She just looks dull and not very interesting.

I would crop it to a portrait orientation. Did you have to lighten the child's face? It looks like you may have, which lost some contrast. Not sure what it is. A little bit of fill flash would have worked wonderfully for this shot, which would also add catch lights to the eyes.

I like the idea of looking up and the sky as the backdrop. I have one of my daughter like that which I just love how it turned out. She was above me on monkey bars though.

The child looking into the lens would have been great (as already mentioned). She has a cute little smile going.

Your profile said okay to edit, so I hope this is okay, I'll remove it if you want, no problem. Just an idea what I was talking about with the crop and what fill flash may help to achieve. I added catch lights to the eye and brightened them just a touch. I have not added catch lights in post very much, so I may not have done it right, so this is just to illustrate the concept.

p994909337-4.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back