1st with Flash Bracket

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First using my flash bracket. D3300, 35mm 1.8G, SB600 set i- ttl, front curtain sync @35mm zoom. Indoors at night. Bounced flash off ceiling tile. AF-S focus mode, Single AF-Area mode, Matrix metering, F/4, 1/80s, Auto ISO 320.
C & C welcome.

10661762e1fd853537ae9f6fa0a1b3a8.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not bad at all! It does show the issue (minor) with using only bounce light; that is, that there eyes are a bit darker than might be ideal, but regardless, a good, solid image. Which bracket?

Nice. Why not take off the name tags unless they are somehow important for the image.

The flash bracket adds nothing when bouncing your flash. Brackets are for off-setting the flash to avoid red-eye, and very flat drivers license looks.

The flash bracket adds nothing when bouncing your flash. Brackets are for off-setting the flash to avoid red-eye, and very flat drivers license looks.
I was getting shadows behind people before and it was suggested to get a bracket. I no longer have that shadow behind people, it helped as suggested it would.

Any suggestions to help me improve shots like this? I don't think they look flat, do you?

Last edited:
Not bad at all! It does show the issue (minor) with using only bounce light; that is, that there eyes are a bit darker than might be ideal, but regardless, a good, solid image. Which bracket?
Thank you. On dark eyes, are you saying the inner parts of the eye? Anything I can do ?

The bracket is Flashpoint Flip-Flash Bracket

I didn't like it at first but getting used to it. Tweaking tightness on bolts. Hard to get at info button but won't be an issue as I am getting to know the camera better.

Nice. Why not take off the name tags unless they are somehow important for the image.
Thank you. I was pressed for time. I just took the names off for posting here. I was hoping people would overlook it for the purpose of c & c.

My first thought was also about the dark eyes. As far as I know, there are two choices: either balance out the ambient and flash so that there is less of a difference between the two, or bounce from a different angle. My favorite angle is to bounce the light from corner of the wall behind me and the ceiling. Then, instead of the light coming straight down on top of them (like it is here) it comes from high up but also angled toward their eyes. Of course, depending on the size and design of the room, this isn't always an option. You could always throw up the little bounce card that most flashes have...then most of the light bounces but a little bit gets thrown forward, and it should be enough to brighten the eyes up.

My first thought was also about the dark eyes. As far as I know, there are two choices: either balance out the ambient and flash so that there is less of a difference between the two, or bounce from a different angle. My favorite angle is to bounce the light from corner of the wall behind me and the ceiling. Then, instead of the light coming straight down on top of them (like it is here) it comes from high up but also angled toward their eyes. Of course, depending on the size and design of the room, this isn't always an option. You could always throw up the little bounce card that most flashes have...then most of the light bounces but a little bit gets thrown forward, and it should be enough to brighten the eyes up.
OK. Thanks for the tip. I will attach a business card to the flash next time. I get tired of the druggy eyes though.

Most reactions

Back