2010 Canon Rebel T2i

dcollie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This camera was recommended to me by a friend does anyone have any comments about it?

Also, why should I make the jump from a point and shoot to something like this?

If you don't know the answer to this question already... I recommend you *don't* make that jump......

Erose
Shame on you...This is the person's first post. Maybe you should try to remember where you started???

Why did your friend say you should get it?

Any camera body upgrade is usually linked to a need that must be filled. I updated my XSI to a 7D because I wanted faster shooter and better high ISO.

Is there something you dont like about your P&S camera?

This camera was recommended to me by a friend does anyone have any comments about it?

Dcollie
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sometimes questions are a dime a dozen here and people have a short fuse. Disregard those answers and try to be patient, someone may eventually help you. Remember, this is a voluntary site and no one has to, but there are a lot who really like to.

As far as the T2i, I will let someone who owns one respond.

Why from point and shoot to dslr???

There are so many good and bad answers, I will start out with a few.

1. the point and shoot does not fill one's needs any more, they are ready for more features which a dslr offers.

2. some people are told they will get better photos if they go to a dslr...that is not necessarily true. There a some here who have produced awesome shots with a point and shoot.

3. some people have a lot of money :mrgreen: sometimes I crack myself up ;)

I will let others chime in before I say more.
What would really help people who respond to your question is for you to provide more info about your camera experience and where you may be heading with the photography world.

If you don't know the answer to this question already... I recommend you *don't* make that jump......

Erose
Shame on you...This is the person's first post. Maybe you should try to remember where you started???

Haha, I wasn't saying that they needed to know anything *technical* about it... all I was saying was that when I knew I wanted a DSLR, I knew it was because I wanted more control over the creative and artistic aspect, rather than just taking snapshots of my friends and family at a bar, party or get together... I sure as hell didn't know what that entailed... but I knew that's *why* I wanted one.

To me it just sounds as though the OP is completely content with a P&S and was randomly recommended a T2i... and I'm probably an ass for assuming, but the question "why should I make the jump from a point and shoot to something like this?" leads me to believe that they wouldn't get any use out of *having* a DSLR as opposed to just having a nicer P&S.

It wasn't a knock... it was an attempt to save them from excess expenses.

I sincerely apologize if it sounded like I was being a *****... because I wasn't trying to be at all. And I sincerely apologize if I interpreted the OP's post in completely the wrong manor.

I know where I started... I haven't *left* there yet. :lol:

You could have posted this the first time ;)

In my business, people say they never have enough time to do it right the first time.

Erose
We forgive you, but will hold you to it.
Otherwise you have to buy the whole forum lunch...:mrgreen:

Any camera body upgrade is usually linked to a need that must be filled. I updated my XSI to a 7D because I wanted faster shooter and better high ISO.

I had mentioned that I wanted to start making videos (just for fun) but I wanted them to look good, as well as be able to take high quality pictures. I have never had a DSLR before and what I have heard is that they take better photos.

Just as a background, I basically have none I just love to look at cool photos and want to start taking some myself, as well as make videos.

Why from point and shoot to dslr???

There are so many good and bad answers, I will start out with a few.

1. the point and shoot does not fill one's needs any more, they are ready for more features which a dslr offers.

2. some people are told they will get better photos if they go to a dslr...that is not necessarily true. There a some here who have produced awesome shots with a point and shoot.

3. some people have a lot of money :mrgreen: sometimes I crack myself up ;)

I will let others chime in before I say more.
What would really help people who respond to your question is for you to provide more info about your camera experience and where you may be heading with the photography world.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your welcoming. I have little to no experience with cameras but I really love good photography and would love to start trying it. Also I want to be able to shoot good quality videos but I don't have thousands of dollars to spend. I have heard that DSLR's take better quality videos and pictures and a friend of mine who is a Canon nut recommended it to me.

I'd say get a DSLR if you want to learn about and get involved in the creative process of making the photo.

For me the fun of a photo is in figuring out how to best shoot it - like solving a puzzle; for my wife, the fun is seeing something interesting and capturing it. She's a P&S gal; I'm a large-format guy. She is also the more creative one.

Modern P&S cameras are very good, if you're content to let the camera make the decisions. Most of the time, the camera will decide well. But do you ever find yourself wishing you could make the P&S do something other than its all-automatic mode, such as letting a background be out of focus, or NOT freezing the action? If yes, go for a DSLR!

Well I will post since I just purchased a T2i as I am trying very hard to get more familiar with the wonderful world of photography.

I have always loved pictures and up until the last few months I have been perfectly content with my P&S..heck I have gotten more use out of my 3.2 mega pixel phone camera than anything. However, a few months ago my girlfriend told me her brother had gotten a beginner Canon Rebel SLR kit for christmas a few years ago and he'd never taken it out of the box. My jaw dropped! I have been developing more film in the past three months than I have my whole life lol. In beginning with SLR I knew a few of the options of the SLR but I wanted to know more. So I talked to my mom who has an old school Nikon SLR and she gave me a few books and from there I went.

Now, to tie this all up. I wanted to get a DSLR for a few reasons. First off, I am going to end up spending all my money on film and developing and then later I'll still want a DSLR so why not save the money now. Second, I have wanted to get into SLR photography because of the ability for such a wide range of different effects. I do think if one is willing to spend the time to learn the fundamentals, then someone can really get some enjoyment. However, I feel if you are just going to keep it on the Fully Automatic function, you should just save and keep the P&S.

I found this forum to learn as much as I can and take in as much as I can but the only thing that has really disappointed me so far is I really thought there were more folks who used the camera to get the final picture. I think photo editing is great, but I want to be able to get a great picture with no editing. This is my goal for the future.

As for the T2i...I love it!!! But I think that no matter what DSLR I would have gotten I would feel the same, however I spent about a week of staying up very late every night doing research and for the price range, I really think the T2i is the best in its class. Now time to start saving for more glass!!!

I had mentioned that I wanted to start making videos (just for fun) but I wanted them to look good, as well as be able to take high quality pictures. I have never had a DSLR before and what I have heard is that they take better photos.

Just as a background, I basically have none I just love to look at cool photos and want to start taking some myself, as well as make videos.

Well the T2i certainly has a fun video function... (which I will undoubtedly be testing out tonight for the first time... so I'll get back to you on the quality later... :mrgreen: )

As far as photos go... I don't know if anyone has said this already... but someone will... DSLRs are *definitely* awesome if you want more creative control... but they're *not* as easy as using a P&S... so you have to kind of be willing to put the time into learning it... and if you are, then fantastic!

The other thing is... if video is the primary selling point for you... then maybe you should look into getting a video camera, depending on the types of movies you're talking about... (I'm trying not to make assumptions this time... haha).

For shorter clips and what not I think the T2i would fit your "I want to make movies and learn to take cool pictures" requirements, but if you're talking about making a "longer" film (even if just for fun), I would just get a video camera within your price range to start... and then maybe upgrade your P&S to a nicer P&S model (that gives you more control over the creative aspects of the photo) for the time being.

Although... again... I'm saying all that, without *really* understand *exactly* what you're going for here. My brain is fried though... it's Friday. :lol:

...But I mean... I love my T2i... and there are several others here that do too :mrgreen:

yes they would just be short videos, maybe ten minutes long tops. It's more just for fun, I love the experience of good photography and I was told this camera could give me this. (Assuming I learn how to use it properly, which is another thing I'm concerned about...)

yes they would just be short videos, maybe ten minutes long tops. It's more just for fun, I love the experience of good photography and I was told this camera could give me this. (Assuming I learn how to use it properly, which is another thing I'm concerned about...)

haha well then go for it!

You *can* learn the camera... but you have to put the time into it, you know? I've been reading about photography for the past 2 months and finally *have* my camera, and have read through half the manual and have been shooting like a crazy person...... and I still feel stupid with it. :lol:

But that's just a result of needing to practice... I sort of equate it to learning and practicing an instrument, you know? I feel like a camera is an instrument in it's own right... but then again I'm also having way too much fun finding parallels between music and photography. :lmao:

haha I think I will go for it. Thanks for all your help!

haha well then go for it!

You *can* learn the camera... but you have to put the time into it, you know? I've been reading about photography for the past 2 months and finally *have* my camera, and have read through half the manual and have been shooting like a crazy person...... and I still feel stupid with it. :lol:

But that's just a result of needing to practice... I sort of equate it to learning and practicing an instrument, you know? I feel like a camera is an instrument in it's own right... but then again I'm also having way too much fun finding parallels between music and photography. :lmao:

I agree with you exactly, Erose. I have been reading a lot about photography the last few months (and am now minoring in it in college) and have already learned a lot.

dcollie: I'm gonna shoot you a PM of some of the links I have bookmarked. I would reccommend reading some of these things. They cover basics like F-Stop, ISO, and shutter speed with pictures to match and show you differences. It is really helpful, even with the a simple point and shoot. I won't say I'm a great photographer (yet, I doubt anyone on here will say that :lol:) but I would say try reading over some of these and just learn some of the basics. If you can get those down, then I would definately recommend T2i...I've played with it a lot and it's a very nice camera. I'm looking at the canon rebel XSi which is a little bit less pricey, but still a really good camera. From everything I've read, it's a really good starter dSLR...I'm not sure aobut the video function, but I do know that it is a little bit cheaper than the T2i...which could be helpful as your first dSLR...

Make sure you check your inbox, i'm gonna shoot that PM to you right now...

TBG

Most reactions

Back