I bought a Canon T2i in mid-March and so far have been happy with it. This is my first DSLR. You can pop by my blog to see photos taken with it. Keep in mind that I'm still posting shots from my old p & s too. If you visit my site, just look at the blog categories list to see which camera was used.
My biggest fear was size and complexity. Turns out for me both were non-issues. I went with a quality lens and the battery grip and the camera still feels quite compact. As for the controls and menus and such, I was surprised at how easy it was to figure out. Of course, I not only read the manual but bought and am reading a third-party book on the T1i (books on the T2i have yet to be released). By the time I actually made the purchase I'd already invested months into learning about aperture, shutter speeds, ISO, exposure compensation and so on, so much of it seemed pretty familiar to me.
One sour note: I just returned the camera to Canon under warranty because of dust on the sensor. The tech at the camera store said the dust appeared to be under the filter, on top of the sensor, and for that reason he recommended it get sent back. Now I'm without for the next three weeks. But this could have happened with any camera make and was probably my fault for not being more careful while changing lenses.
My recommendation is to read as much as you can on photography and once you feel you have a good understanding, then you'll probably be happy with any DSLR you buy.