$250 ticket for shooting on a tripod in NYC?

I can't answer because I'm on my way to erect a large tripod on a public sidewalk thereby asserting exclusive use of city property and I don't have a permit.

I am an Outlaw

That's not what asserting exclusive use of city property means. So you're legit.

I can't answer because I'm on my way to erect a large tripod on a public sidewalk thereby asserting exclusive use of city property and I don't have a permit.

I am an Outlaw

That's not what asserting exclusive use of city property means. So you're legit.

Well, I'm also holding a large sword and intend to defend my space which I have named 'Schizophibia.'
And if people try to enter, they need a visa.

Now do I need a permit?

The permit is optional, and may or may not cost $300 or be free, and really is up to the discretion of the officer at the other end of your sword... obv :lol:

The permit is optional, and may or may not cost $300 or be free, and really is up to the discretion of the officer at the other end of your sword... obv :lol:

Well, that's a bit tricky.
I've got him on the ground with my sword at his throat and he is threatening me with some terrible things if I take my foot off of his gun hand.
He doesn't seem to recognize my national sovereignty.

Worst of all, I have to pee and my country doesn't have a bathroom.
I'm at the north-east corner of 45th and Lex in Manhattan if anyone cares to help.

I am an Outlaw

Well, I'm also holding a large sword and intend to defend my space which I have named 'Schizophibia.'
And if people try to enter, they need a visa.

Now do I need a permit?

I think you need a lawyer.

Well, that's a bit tricky.
I've got him on the ground with my sword at his throat and he is threatening me with some terrible things if I take my foot off of his gun hand.
He doesn't seem to recognize my national sovereignty.

Worst of all, I have to pee and my country doesn't have a bathroom.
I'm at the north-east corner of 45th and Lex in Manhattan if anyone cares to help.

If you are still there, directly south of you is a sbarro and a mcdonalds on lexington on the east side of the street.

No, MY penis is bigger!

Wait, what's the topic at hand again?

You talk about circles and then you come back to Asserting exclusive use of property.

The original snafu was when you replied to my statement that it was NOT a stupid law. You claim it IS a stupid law... 3+ pages later you now agree with it? You continuously argue that tripods are not a hazard but now you accepting it is because it suites your argument of "exclusive use"? WTF?

Of course there are other regulations on the books regarding asserting exclusive use of city property but this one specifically addressed tripods. You are basically rehashing everything I already said (in agreement with the law linked)....

.. (not required) [SIZE=+2]does not assert exclusive use city property...[/SIZE]

Next part...

.... (not required) a hand-held device and [SIZE=+2]not otherwise asserting exclusive use of city property[/SIZE]

Last part..

... (required) or if the person filming [SIZE=+2]asserts exclusive use of City property.... [/SIZE]

is the same as

. If you are asserting exclusive use of property then you need a permit. If you are doing it with out a tripod, you need a permit. If you are not doing it WITH a tripod, you do not need a permit. That's all there is to it.

Take note: "(not required)" and "(required)" are in agreement with you.... pages ago.

Sammie_Lou said:
Sweet! I have a tripod...guess I'm a pro! Now I can start charging big bux to take pictures!

Hahaha I like your thinking

Police are ridiculous, you cant take pictures of buildings in London, UK without attracting some sort of attention from the authorities, we are photographers not terrorists!

You talk about circles and then you come back to Asserting exclusive use of property.

The original snafu was when you replied to my statement that it was NOT a stupid law. You claim it IS a stupid law... 3+ pages later you now agree with it? You continuously argue that tripods are not a hazard but now you accepting it is because it suites your argument of "exclusive use"? WTF?

Of course there are other regulations on the books regarding asserting exclusive use of city property but this one specifically addressed tripods. You are basically rehashing everything I already said (in agreement with the law linked)....

.. (not required) [SIZE=+2]does not assert exclusive use city property...[/SIZE]

Next part...

.... (not required) a hand-held device and [SIZE=+2]not otherwise asserting exclusive use of city property[/SIZE]

Last part..

... (required) or if the person filming [SIZE=+2]asserts exclusive use of City property.... [/SIZE]

is the same as

. If you are asserting exclusive use of property then you need a permit. If you are doing it with out a tripod, you need a permit. If you are not doing it WITH a tripod, you do not need a permit. That's all there is to it.

Take note: "(not required)" and "(required)" are in agreement with you.... pages ago.

What? Where do you get this from lmfao. I think you need a nap.

If a permit was required to use a tripod that would be a stupid law. But this isn't the case. End of argument.

Last edited:
End of argument... hahahaha...

You should inform this person (among many):

Hilary's Hideaway: Still Photography Permits in NYC

Apparently they applied for a non-existent permit.

This is dated in April 2008. Who knows what permit she applied for. She states she paid nothing for her permit. The only permit that is free is the OPTIONAL permit which has been covered. And I guess some chick's 3 year old blog post outweighs updated permit information from NYC's film permit website.

In July 2008, the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting adopted rules governing the issuance of permits in connection with filming activity in New York City. The adopted rules outline the practices of the MOFTB, codifying the procedures that have existed since the office was established in 1966. In June 2010, MOFTB adopted an amendment to those rules regarding the implementation of a $300 fee for the processing of the initial application of any new project.

Effective since August 2008, the rules require a permit if filmmakers use vehicles or equipment, or, in certain situations, assert exclusive use of City property. Permits are not be required for casual photographers, tourists, credentialed members of the media, or other members of the public who do not use vehicles or equipment or assert exclusive use of City property.

There a many alleged "laws" that people think are true due to word of mouth when they are clearly mythical.

Perfect example, a common misconception is that if someone breaks into your home, you cannot use deadly force or force for that matter, if there is a way out. Meanwhile, the Self Defense Act (actually just happened in your neck of the woods last summer in Jersey) clearly states that if someone enters an occupied domicile by force/without permission (this includes your vehicle as well) you can safely assume that they are there to cause harm and therefore are protected under the self defense act if you happen to kill this person. Not to derail the topic, but I am sure you know how people can run wild with an idea and think its true.

Last edited:
There a many alleged "laws" that people think are true due to word of mouth when they are clearly mythical.

Yeh.. and you are the all knowing person to straighten everything out....

Never mind the fact that T R I P O D is actually mentioned specifically in the documents.

PS> I have yet to meet a single person that believed that "deadly force cannot be used if there is a way out".

But HEY...

I'm a Texan and I get asked if I wear cowboy boots, hat, and ride a horse to work...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back