???

esmilutevi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi peoples Are there any cases that you would trust to hold your camera gear and be checked in baggage? Can this be locked or will that red flag the case?

I've used Pelican cases backed up by insurance. Use those airline friendly luggage locks if you're worried, although no lock is secure against a determined person. Anything showing up in a Pelican case will likely be scanned.

Pelican case for sure, but carry-on if possible.

+1 for Pelican. If checked make sure you insure. TSA locks are available, the ones they can easily open and are permitted on the cases. Aside from theft nothing anyone or anything can do to harm the contents of a properly packed Pelican case ;)

+1 for Pelican. If checked make sure you insure. TSA locks are available, the ones they can easily open and are permitted on the cases. Aside from theft nothing anyone or anything can do to harm the contents of a properly packed Pelican case ;)
Why bother putting a lock on it at all?

Why bother putting a lock on it at all?
If you put a 'regular' lock on it, the TSA will cut it off.

I trust my stuff to a Pelican more than anything else, but I wouldn't trust the TSA with anything at all.

We've used pelican cases with approved locks on them many times in the past. Nothing ever gets damaged, but stuff DOES come up missing. After a few rounds of TSA theft, we just ship our pelican cases via insured UPS or FedEX with whatever lock we want to where we are traveling. Now, nothing gets damaged AND nothing gets stolen. :) In many cases, this even ends up CHEAPER just because of the extra baggage fees that we would have racked up, not to mention the cases of lost goods.

I trust my stuff to a Pelican more than anything else, but I wouldn't trust the TSA with anything at all.
Exactly! No way in HADES I'm going to trust some glorified Mall Cop with access to my gear. Since they're the ones that have access to it once it's checked in, they're the ones that it needs to be protected from. This whole "TSA Lock" rule is nothing more than making it easier for them to steal from passengers.

yep, had a $1300 tripod and ball head taken from the luggage. Not an easy thing to hide in a pocket.

I like the FedEX or UPS shipping but traveling abroad that gets pretty expensive. I carry on all my gear and check the clothes ;)

Personally I almost never check my camera gear. I was with a co-worker flying to an assignment, he checked his gear. It was in a pelican case with fitted foam padding and had the TSA approved locks. We get to our destination and he opens up the pelican case his laptop screen is spider web shattered, and the top of camera is cracked and lense was broken. He filed a complaint to the Airline and they said prove it. Lucky for him he had insurance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back