2x Teleconverter For Canon

decado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What's a good brand for a 2x teleconverter? I was reading reviews of canon's EF 2x teleconverter and they say that it degrades the image. Are there 2x teleconverter's that don't degrade the image or would I be better off sticking to a 1.4x?

My experience is that the manufacturer's own 1.4x converters offer better performance, with less light loss than the manufacturer's own 2x converters.
With a 1.4x converter, you lose only one f/stop of light transmission, and get a 1.4x longer effective focal length,without too much degradation of the optics of most primes and good zoom lenses.

With a 2x converter, the light loss is a full two f/stops' worth, and there is usually a pretty noticeable quality loss with a 2x converter.

The 1.4x is a nice compromise....1.4x longer focal length, and then the ability to crop a small amount to et to 2.0x magnification, but no penalty in reduced shutter speed in the field, and no loss of autofocusing in the field due to a 2x converter dropping the maximum aperture down so far that the AF system will not AF.

Any teleconverter is going to degrade the image to some extent.
The only way around that is to just buy a longer (more expensive) lens so that you don't need the teleconverter.

It's a compromise between buying an expensive 400mm prime, or just throwing a teleconverter on a 70-200 or something like that.

I own the Sigma EX series TC's (1.4X and 2X) to go with my EX lenses (50-150mm f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4). The 1.4 is great. The 2 really softens things up. I don't know how well Sigma TC's would work with Canon brand lenses. I use my 1.4 with my Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro and it works well (which, I believe, the Canon TC does not), but haven't tried it with any other Canon glass.

You also need to use a really good lens with a teleconverter to get the best results. I have seen shots taken with both canon teleconverters printed in sizes of 16x20 and viewing at less than arms length, I could not find one thing to complain about. This was however using a 1DmkII and L glass.

You also need to use a really good lens with a teleconverter to get the best results. I have seen shots taken with both canon teleconverters printed in sizes of 16x20 and viewing at less than arms length, I could not find one thing to complain about. This was however using a 1DmkII and L glass.

How would you compare that to 5D (12.8) with a '70-200 f2.8L'? According to Canon, it would be a '140-400 f5.6' equivalent. I like those stats, but if I'm going to lose image sharpness, it's not much of a savings over buying the '100-400 f4L' is it?

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, I think it's relevant to the original question.

I own the Sigma EX series TC's (1.4X and 2X) to go with my EX lenses (50-150mm f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4). The 1.4 is great. The 2 really softens things up. I don't know how well Sigma TC's would work with Canon brand lenses. I use my 1.4 with my Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro and it works well (which, I believe, the Canon TC does not), but haven't tried it with any other Canon glass.

I have the Canon 100mm lens and would be interested in seeing one of your shots using the Sigma 1.4 TC. Would you have one you could post?

Juza has a good article on comparing canon and sigma TCs together:
Juza Nature Photography

His results I would agree with totally (Barring the fullframe side since I don't have a fullframe camera) since I have both sets of TCs. The difference in the 2*TCs is something that you notice when you use them side by side in a comparison, but in the field it really is not enough of a difference to worry about

My own experiences are that 1.4TCs are very good for your money and will give you a nice focal length increase with minimal image quality loss (on top end lenses with a good shot its unnoticable at times) and only 1 stop of lightloss, which should not cripple you in most situations. I nearly always have a 1.4TC on both my 70-200mm and my two macro prime lenses as well.

The 2*TCs are a different ballgame, lightloss is more noticable and image quality takes a very noticable drop. On a zoom lens its mostly not that good an option, even on my 70-200mm f2.8 IS the image quality suffers a lot (though if you use a higher end camera body you can reduce this image quality loss - 5DM2 and 1DM2/3 are the range of body you need though). Prime lenses tend to work far better, but again your looking at hte top range of prime lenses. This is not only for image quality, but also for AF since on canon cameras the bodies will not AF if the max aperture of the lens goes below f5.6 - and since you lose 2 stops of light with a 2*TC you need f2.8 lenses otherwise you will lose AF.
Note that some sigma lenses have a max aperture smaller than 5.6, but they do not report this to the camera and thus keep AF. Further this limitation is not canon being nasty, but rather the fact that AF is totally unreliable after this point.
It can be got round by using a pro range (1D) camera where the limit is f8.

Persoanlly I would say a 1.4TC is a worth addtion to your setup - though note that canon 1.4TCs will only work with their L range of lenses and even then they will not attach to them all (typically only the >100mm ones will attach). This is a physical limitation as the front of the TC sticks out.
Sigma TCs have a far lesser stickout and so will attach to more lenses in the canon range and I belive Kenko TCs have an even smaller rise - and their Kenko Pro range are supposed to be quite good optically speaking ( I haven't used on to know myself).

I have the Canon 100mm lens and would be interested in seeing one of your shots using the Sigma 1.4 TC. Would you have one you could post?

Hmmmm .... I'll have to go back and look ... if I can't find one, I'll take a couple. Give me a bit of time (working long hours this week).

Criss - I don't have the canon 100mm, but I have a sigma 70mm and 150mm macro and I use a sigma 1.4TC on both all the time (its actually rare for me to use either lens without). Its great as it gives a slightly longer working distance, a greater overall magnifaction at its normal working distance (1.4:1) which is usefull when taking shots of fly sized subject and getting closer to larger insects. Image quality with both lenses remains very high and only 1 stop less light has little impact on lighting or focusing
For some examples:
IMG_0224 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Butterfly and Wildlife Park - Norwich - a set on Flickr
barring the hedgehog that entire set is 70mm+1.4TC and most of the other regular macro work in my stream is 1.4TC + one of the macro lenses

Thanks for the info, Overread. Is this the right TC? I checked the compatibility chart on B&H and the Canon 100mm wasn't listed, so I was hesitant to try it. I've added that to my Wish List.

Thanks for the info, Overread. Is this the right TC? I checked the compatibility chart on B&H and the Canon 100mm wasn't listed, so I was hesitant to try it. I've added that to my Wish List.

Yep that's the one. I'll see if I can scrape up a couple of images for you with the Canon 100. I bought that TC on e-bay for just over $100 in pristine condition (and payed a bit more for my 2X)

Thanks, Ian. I look forward to seeing your photos. Don't go out of your way--as I said, it's only on my Wish List right now. I wonder if I could also use it on my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro as well. Wouldn't THAT be great if I could! Then I could finally get a chance for some great close-up bird shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back