3 insect pics.. c&c welcome

ncstater1919

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just walking around my neighborhood yesterday and i came across these various insects. shot with my D40

Let me know what you think!

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

Thanks,
-Spencer

it may have been better to get the lens closer to the insect and try and get a bit more to their level instead of looking down at them. Were these shot in Aperture mode?

I think you need a macro lens.

I know thats exactly what i was going to ask about because I was having to crop it and then sharpen it. what are your suggestions for macro lens?

I know thats exactly what i was going to ask about because I was having to crop it and then sharpen it. what are your suggestions for macro lens?
Sorry, I'm a Canon shooter and don't know the Nikkor lens lineup. I think there is a 105mm micro lens that is kinda popular with Nikon shooters.

it may have been better to get the lens closer to the insect and try and get a bit more to their level instead of looking down at them. Were these shot in Aperture mode?

Except for the ladybug the other two were taken at their level. and no i need to read up on aperuture/exposure and such because i was messing with it yesterday and couldn't figure it out

Sorry, I'm a Canon shooter and don't know the Nikkor lens lineup. I think there is a 105mm micro lens that is kinda popular with Nikon shooters.

I am actually about to get either the 18mm-105mm VR or the 18mm-135mm lens. I have been teetering between the two lens though..

I am actually about to get either the 18mm-105mm VR or the 18mm-135mm lens. I have been teetering between the two lens though..
Are those able to do macro/micro shots?

I was thinking of this Nikkor lens: Nikon Telephoto AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Lens

Nikon also has this Nikkor Micro lens: Nikon Normal Macro 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro Nikkor Autofocus Lens

Sigma and Tamron also make a number of lenses that are macro/micro capable.

Are those able to do macro/micro shots?

I was thinking of this Nikkor lens: Nikon Telephoto AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Lens

Nikon also has this Nikkor Micro lens: Nikon Normal Macro 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro Nikkor Autofocus Lens

Sigma and Tamron also make a number of lenses that are macro/micro capable.
i have the sigma macro lens it work great for the price :thumbup:

nikkor 105mm prime is the way to go for macro.

For the best value/performance I'd suggest a used nikkor 105mm f4 ais manual focus + extention tube--you'll have to meter and focus by hand, but macro work is typically best done manually anyway. The f2.8 105mm micro is the most popular macro lens for nikon, but the f4 version is about half the $$ and the image quality above f8 is identical.

Yes, the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Micro VR is pretty much the gold standard. But if you want to dabble in the macro(ish) photography, but not sure whether to fork out a grand for a lens..... check this video out.

[video=youtube;U7rrEQxjHmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rrEQxjHmA"]CLICKY[/video]

BTW, Bryan Peterson is not joke. Do a search for his name or his book Understanding Exposure here on TPF alone.

Yes, the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Micro VR is pretty much the gold standard. But if you want to dabble in the macro(ish) photography, but not sure whether to fork out a grand for a lens..... check this video out.

CLICKY

BTW, Bryan Peterson is not joke. Do a search for his name or his book Understanding Exposure here on TPF alone.

awesome video I had never heard of that before and will have to check it out.

thanks for all the advice everyone. besides needing a macro lens are there any other suggestions for my photos?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back