What's new

300mm + 1.7x TC = 700mm?

kylehess10

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
149
Reaction score
10
Location
Acworth, GA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 300mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor lens with a TC-17E II teleconverter (shooting with a D7000), which should make it a 510mm f/4.8 lens, but every photo I take with the combination come up as a 700mm lens in the EXIF info. What's the reason for that?



Exif | Jaime Garcia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
 
It may be trying to incorporate the 1.5X crop factor.
But that only affects your FOV, not your focal length...so if that's what it's doing...I'd think something's wrong.
 
Then I must have a non-conformist D7000.

metadatafocallength.jpg
 
Mine shows the focal length as sparky's does.
 
Interesting, both my old D70 and my D300 both show the "multiplied" FL. I wonder if it's something Nikon's changed, or if there's a setting that can be altered? Anyone?
 
That's weird...because the focal length doesn't change because of the crop factor...only the field of view.

I could see them using the multiplied focal length for the teleconverter though.
 
I think I remember reading somwhere that certain software will factor in the crop factor, some don't. So perhaps your camera sent one value and the software you used to save/edit your photo modified the EXIF? Just a thought. Could be way off but if you can't find the answer with the camera check the info on your software.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom