35 f/2D vs 35 1.8G FX

It's a really hard decision. I don't see the point in owning both a 35 and 50mm. But it feels redundant to have a 16-35 and a 35 prime. But then again, I guess they are completely different lenses for different purposes.

I've owned a 35/2 AF-D since 2002...diaphrgm crapped out on it in 2015...have sort of stopped using it, and now use my manual focus 35/2 Ai-S which is a pretty good 35mm lens.

I dunno...the 35/2 AF-D has a lot of distortion...I was ALWAYS surprised to see how MUCH it has when I apply Lighroom lens profile correcctions...I dunno...I kind of LIKED the distorted effect it gave.

I am not and never have been much for shooting lenses wide-open, but if you want to, maybe the newer AF-S G model would be a better lens for you. I LIKE the 35mm angle of view on full-frame, and always have. THere's a pleasing look to that 35mm focal length on FX Nikon!

It's a really hard decision. I don't see the point in owning both a 35 and 50mm. But it feels redundant to have a 16-35 and a 35 prime. But then again, I guess they are completely different lenses for different purposes.

OMG....I did not see this when I wrote my intial reply to you. But NO,no,no,no! STOP buying and selling s**t! It's not "redundant" to have a 16-35mm zoom and a 35mm prime. NOR is it redundant to have a 35mm and a 50mm--they are three, very different tools.

D_i_f_f_e_r_e_n_t. Not redundant. WIldly, wildly,wildly,wildly different. 35mm is not at all like 50mm. There's 35mm, 40mm,43mm,45mm,50mm,55mm,58mm,and 60mm. Just stop selling stuff, and learn to use more than one thing. Keep some stuff around for a few years. Or a couple decades.

Ever wondered why all these different lengths have been made into primes, by one camera maker or another?

(Oddly...EXIF combing from my crop-frame days showed the 35-70mm AF Nikkor used at 43mm on MANY of my favorites pictures...)

OMG....I did not see this when I wrote my intial reply to you. But NO,no,no,no! STOP buying and selling s**t! It's not "redundant" to have a 16-35mm zoom and a 35mm prime. NOR is it redundant to have a 35mm and a 50mm--they are three, very different tools.

D_i_f_f_e_r_e_n_t. Not redundant. WIldly, wildly,wildly,wildly different. 35mm is not at all like 50mm. There's 35mm, 40mm,43mm,45mm,50mm,55mm,58mm,and 60mm. Just stop selling stuff, and learn to use more than one thing. Keep some stuff around for a few years. Or a couple decades.

Ever wondered why all these different lengths have been made into primes, by one camera maker or another?

(Oddly...EXIF combing from my crop-frame days showed the 35-70mm AF Nikkor used at 43mm on MANY of my favorites pictures...)

I understand what you are saying Derrel. But having multiple lenses becomes difficult for me to decide what I should use. Some people know exactly what it is they want, I unfortunately have difficult time making decisions. It's like I'm searching for a soul mate and can't find it!

Back to the 35mm, I think 35mm primes render images really differently than a 50mm. Everyone shoots with a 50mm and honestly, it just gets boring. I typically grab the 50mm for when I want bokeh. But maybe the 85 1.8 is a better tool for that then a 50mm. But as a general purpose, I think 35mm is much better. One thing I noticed is the new 35 1.8g has better color and contrast than the 50 1.8g, definitely makes things more fun and interesting.

I know what you mean with the 50mm, I've been using it a lot on my film camera. I have more fun using the 35-70 AIS shooting at 35mm. I would love to buy a 35mm f/2 for it but they are pretty pricey and the zoom works well enough for me. On my Fujifilm APC, I just love the 23mm F/2 (35 equivalent) for street shooting. Lately, I've been grabbing the 18-55 to get a better feel for it and if I'd have brought the 23, the 18-55 would have been in the hip pack. So what Derrel said makes a lot of sense. What I have learned is that the 18-55 actually works better in dark alleys and causeways because of the IS. So next time I go out shooting, I'll hip pack the 18-55 and 55-200 and mount the 23mn. The use of the 55-200 for the street is another subject but I can say, I wish Derrel and Gary didn't challenge me to use it because I regret it every time I go to street without it.

I know what you mean with the 50mm, I've been using it a lot on my film camera. I have more fun using the 35-70 AIS shooting at 35mm. I would love to buy a 35mm f/2 for it but they are pretty pricey and the zoom works well enough for me. On my Fujifilm APC, I just love the 23mm F/2 (35 equivalent) for street shooting. Lately, I've been grabbing the 18-55 to get a better feel for it and if I'd have brought the 23, the 18-55 would have been in the hip pack. So what Derrel said makes a lot of sense. What I have learned is that the 18-55 actually works better in dark alleys and causeways because of the IS. So next time I go out shooting, I'll hip pack the 18-55 and 55-200 and mount the 23mn. The use of the 55-200 for the street is another subject but I can say, I wish Derrel and Gary didn't challenge me to use it because I regret it every time I go to street without it.

I'm not street shooting though, no streets here. Haha.

If anyone has tried taking photos of something in their hands or something using a 50mm prime, then you'll know you either have short arms or longer arms. I have to become stretch armstrong. Don't have to with a 35mm, that's a plus! Also, good lens for hand held self portraits too. Haha.

I have primes and zooms. Each has it's place. Zoom for when you can't decide. Primes when you have a purpose! I have zooms that match and cross one another. And I was about to say I don't have any matching primes but I do. I have 105 macro, and 105 DC lenses. The only 2 primes I have same length. Well not counting AF and MF.

I have primes and zooms. Each has it's place. Zoom for when you can't decide. Primes when you have a purpose! I have zooms that match and cross one another. And I was about to say I don't have any matching primes but I do. I have 105 macro, and 105 DC lenses. The only 2 primes I have same length. Well not counting AF and MF.

Im the opposite haha. Primes makes me think more than zooms, I like the challenge I guess. I can never decide on focal length using a zoom. When I use a prime, I'm forced to make it work. Takes the variables out of my mind and let's me focus more on the photo.

Maybe I'm just an idiot. Haha.

Im pretty sure I'm set on selling the 16-35 and getting the 20 1.8, just because that extra light and shallow dof allows me to create some unique images that the 16-35 just can't do.

Im pretty sure I'm set on selling the 16-35 and getting the 20 1.8, just because that extra light and shallow dof allows me to create some unique images that the 16-35 just can't do.

Actually that was one of the things I was looking at today was the 20mm f/1.8.
14mm f/2.8 is available as a refurb on sale too. 2x the price though. :048:

Actually that was one of the things I was looking at today was the 20mm f/1.8.
14mm f/2.8 is available as a refurb on sale too. 2x the price though. :048:

I have an opportunity to get the 20 1.8 in like new for $625. Sooooo tempted.

Thats getting down to Rokinon 20mm f/1.8 MF price range. I'd say it's a deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back