35 f/2D vs 35 1.8G FX

Now if you had kept the 28 f/1.8. And then picked up the 24 f/1.8. You would have the triplets. :345:

Now if you had kept the 28 f/1.8. And then picked up the 24 f/1.8. You would have the triplets. :345:

Haha, I don't think I'd have use for them honestly. Though that 24 1.8 is sharp as heck. But if I have a 20 1.8G, I don't think I'd use a 24mm. I think a 20mm and a 35mm is a great wide prime lens setup. I'll totally have fun with it.

Just think. If you get a reversing ring and stack your new 20 on your 70-200. You would have a 10:1 macro set up (at 200mm setting).

Have to ask the macro guys if you could focus with that combination. But yea. I have only dabbed a little with reverse lens stacking. Oh, just remembered. Can focus but DOF very very thin the more you go up in ratio.

The jist is you zoom out to 200 and leave it wide open. Then put the reversed stacked lens at infinity and use it's aperture for adjustments. I think when I did it. I used my 50mm f/1.4 and had it's aperture wide open and used the lens connected to the camera aperture. But I guess it's better the other way around.

Look up reverse lens stacking macro. Pretty cool.

Have to ask the macro guys if you could focus with that combination. But yea. I have only dabbed a little with reverse lens stacking.

The jist is you zoom out to 200 and leave it wide open. Then put the reversed stacked lens at infinity and use it's aperture for adjustments. I think when I did it. I used my 50mm f/1.4 and had it's aperture wide open and used the lens connected to the camera aperture. But I guess it's better the other way around.

Look up reverse lens stacking macro. Pretty cool.

Well, I've reversed my 50mm handheld before. But I never thought about attaching it to another lens. That's interesting.

Just waiting for the guy to ship it, no idea why it's taking so long. A little worried, but then again I'm not because he has 300+ 100% feedback and I chatted with him for a while before I bought it. He's a photographer and cinematographer. I even found his website, he does pretty good work. So I believe it's all legit.

Just waiting for the guy to ship it, no idea why it's taking so long. A little worried, but then again I'm not because he has 300+ 100% feedback and I chatted with him for a while before I bought it. He's a photographer and cinematographer. I even found his website, he does pretty good work. So I believe it's all legit.
Frantic expecting father waiting on the newborn. :1219:

I am a 1.4/35 Ai-S fanboy. It is small and light and still offers f/1.4. it is also a great lens, build without optical changes for more than 30 years. Mine was made in 2006!!!

I had the 2.0/35 AF for a short while. It it OK if you stop it down and apply a lot of sharpening in post. No lens for fine details though. It is rather small and unintrusive though. Did not like it. I bought the 1.4/24G as equivalent on a D7000 instead.

More reliable 35 Nikkor Info:

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

The AF-S 1.8/35G FX is light but it is also big. It offers a better geometrical correction than the AF-S 1.4/35G and is very well corrected when it comes to flare ghosting and the like. Very sharp over the whole frame. No magic in the rendering, more analytical.

Still after checking all the options on FX and DX, yea, also the AF-S 1.8/35G DX, I decided for the 1.4/35 Ai-S. I use it on the D500 and the D600 and love it on both for environmental portraits and unintrusive photography.

The lens is not a cheapie. I paid 450€ for a used one in very good condition. She is my love at 35.

IMG_20170727_055616.jpg

Beside the 4.0/200 Ai-S-Micro and some 50mm on my FM2 it is the only non AF-S prime I own from 8mm to 300mm:

small9_opportunities_6TG3917sep_.JPG

I think about getting the AF-S 1.8/35G FX some day. Till then the 1.4/24G on the D500 is a good option to cover that field of view.

Last edited:
PS. Also my 1.8/20G is a great "equivalent" on the D500...

I am a 1.4/35 Ai-S fanboy. It is small and light and still offers f/1.4. it is also a great lens, build without optical changes for more than 30 years. Mine was made in 2006!!!

I had the 2.0/35 AF for a short while. It it OK if you stop it down and apply a lot of sharpening in post. No lens for fine details though. It is rather small and unintrusive though. Did not like it. I bought the 1.4/24G as equivalent on a D7000 instead.

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

The AF-S 1.8/35G FX is light but it is also big. It offers a better geometrical correction than the AF-S 1.4/35G and is very well corrected when it comes to flare ghosting and the like. Very sharp over the whole frame. No magic in the rendering, more analytical.

Still after checking all the options on FX and DX, yea, also the AF-S 1.8/35G DX, I decided for the 1.4/35 Ai-S. I use it on the D500 and the D600 and love it on both for environmental portraits and unintrusive photography.

The lens is not a cheapie. I paid 450€ for a used one in very good condition. She is my love at 35.

View attachment 144116

Beside the 4.0/200 Ai-S-Micro and some 50mm on my FM2 it is the only non AF-S prime I own from 8mm to 300mm:

View attachment 144117

I think about getting the AF-S 1.8/35G FX some day. Till then the 1.4/24G on the D500 is a good option to cover that field of view.

Is that the new 8-15 in the top right corner?

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

View attachment 144116

View attachment 144117

I want that 35 1.4....

Frantic expecting father waiting on the newborn. :1219:

Yeah it's all good. I got a little worried as I always am I purchase something expensive on eBay. He just took forever to post the tracking number (I guess my ebay ethics are a little different). I'll have it tomorrow!

Most reactions

Back