350D + 'bigma' Error 99

Sam@MAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all.

This is my first post here so please be kind :lol:

I've had my 350D for about 3 years now and I've never had a single problem with it, great cam that has never failed to impress me. This time last year I bought a Sigma 50-500mm from a friend (used, but in great condition). When I first got the camera I was getting the occasional 'error 99' message. Turning the camera on and off soon fixed this so I just ignored it and carried on.

Went to use my camera yesterday after a long spell of not being able to get out and use it, and I seem to be getting 'error 99' after every other photo. I still consider myself to be quite a novice so please forgive the lack of technical explanation from me...

I only seem to be getting 'error 99' when I take photos of bright / white objects. If I take a photo of something darker it seems to work fine (for example earlier I was messing around in the house, never got a single error. Shot a photo of a bright van outside, got it).

I also seem to be getting very overexposed photos quite a bit, which I never used to get, heres an example. Both taken on ISO 100 F8 seconds apart:

First Image
Second Image

Completely un-edited so please excuse the poor quality :lol:

There's also hundreds of other photos like the second which are overexposed and horrible.

Did a bit of research on error 99 and found it could be thousands of things. I tried changing the battery / CF card / letting the battery drain etc and that hasn't fixed it so I think its something to do with the camera / lens contacts. Tried cleaning them with a cloth but not sure if that would do the job. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to clean the contacts?

Sorry if I waffled on a bit!

Many thanks

Sam

do you also get the problem with other lenses in the same scenarios? I'm starting to thinkthere is a problem with the sensor. How many actuations do you have on it?

The usual recommendation for cleaning the contacts is to use a pencil eraser.

If the contacts aren't connecting properly, that might be the cause of the over exposure, since the camera tells the lens what aperture to stop down to. That would be a problem in bright light, where you are more likely to use smaller aperture than it would in low light, where you would probably use a wide open aperture.

Another cause may be that the aperture blades are stuck or sticky and they don't open properly.

I'd suggest calling Canon and/or Sigma service departments. You may have to take/send in the lens & camera for them to diagnose the problem.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

As far as I'm aware, it only happens with my bigma. Never encountered a problem with my 75-300mm

Cleaned the contacts before I left yesterday (only using a cloth, though) so it might not have been thorough enough, although I'd of thought that would of shifted the majority of the dirt on there. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some sort of fluid to clean the contacts?

I'm pretty sure its something to do with the contacts and/or lens as I've tried everything else.

I know this is a bit of a long shot but does anyone know roughly how much it'd cost to send it off to Sigma and get it looked at (I'm in the UK).

Sorry about the lack of technical lingo!

Many thanks

Sam

Most reactions

New Topics

Back