35mm 1.8g dx questions

killerseaguls

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought this lens (haven't used it yet) and I know it's good for portraits but are there any other good uses for this. I was reading it's good for landscapes to a point but have found the kit lens 18-55mm is probably better. I read this is a good lens to buy as a first for a prime lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with it: sharp (especially stopped down a little) and little wider than 50mm prime which is good in tight rooms. Good in low light but don't get too close to face on portraits because it can distort noses/face. Works well for street shooting for getting more in frame. Nice bokeh. Fast. Have used it a little bit for landscape and it works good. Excellent value. I prefer it over the 50mm prime because it works better on street and for wife's indoor property pics for her portfolio. I really like it, almost more than my Sigma 17-50mm OS EX HSM.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I use this lens a lot (out of my four lenses I have used this a third of the time). Not too much for portraits, more like a group of three of four people. I take it when street shooting, when expecting to have low light conditions, when traveling where I want a small lens on the camera. I have stitched together more than a few panoramas when this lens does not cover the field of view.

1.8 is good for hand held shooting in low light, shooting in low light, you can get a very shallow depth of field meaning not much of the scene is in focus with lots of bokeh, i like to shoot the local car shows at night with mine hand held. i got some great low light car photos with it.

35mm is not really a portrate lens, its good for shooting a group of people indoors but you get close to one person with it your gonna get too much distortion. average portraate lens is around 70mm or narrower, check out the link i posted about that.

if you have a DX camera take the lens focal length by 1.5 so that 35mm is really a 52mm equivalent on a DX body, a 50mm lens on a DX body is the 75mm equivalent. you would really want at least a 50mm-70mm lens on a DX camera to do portraits of single people. with that 35mm lens you can step back and get a group of people in the photo and it will look fine but get close to one person and you will get funky results as showin in the link..

Face distortion is not due to lens distortion

that 35mm 1.8g is a very sharp lens, i had one but decided to sell it and i plan to pick up a 18-35mm 1.8 lens, i really like to be able to zoom, not a huge fan of primes but primes are usually going to give you excellent image quality so allot of people prefer them over a zoom.

1.8 is good for hand held shooting in low light, shooting in low light, you can get a very shallow depth of field meaning not much of the scene is in focus with lots of bokeh, i like to shoot the local car shows at night with mine hand held. i got some great low light car photos with it.

35mm is not really a portrate lens, its good for shooting a group of people indoors but you get close to one person with it your gonna get too much distortion. average portraate lens is around 70mm or narrower, check out the link i posted about that.

if you have a DX camera take the lens focal length by 1.5 so that 35mm is really a 52mm equivalent on a DX body, a 50mm lens on a DX body is the 75mm equivalent. you would really want at least a 50mm-70mm lens on a DX camera to do portraits of single people. with that 35mm lens you can step back and get a group of people in the photo and it will look fine but get close to one person and you will get funky results as showin in the link..

that 35mm 1.8g is a very sharp lens, i had one but decided to sell it and i plan to pick up a 18-35mm 1.8 lens, i really like to be able to zoom, not a huge fan of primes but primes are usually going to give you excellent image quality so allot of people prefer them over a zoom.

I have a 18-35 3.5 and its meh. Obviously great for me starting out and I probably won't buy another lens after the prime until I master what I have.

I'll put up some shots of it this weekend and have everyone tell me what I'm doing wrong haha. I probably only have 50 clicks on my camera right now

that 18-35mm is actually said to be a good lens if that is a Nikon lens, if you are new at photography than any lens and camera body may give you bad results till you know what you are doing. here is a list of photos on flicker said to be taken with that nikon 18-35mm 3.5 i see some really nice images there. Search: nikon 18-35mm | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

but a 1.8 is really worth having just for the low light capability.

that 18-35mm is actually said to be a good lens if that is a Nikon lens, if you are new at photography than any lens and camera body may give you bad results till you know what you are doing. here is a list of photos on flicker said to be taken with that nikon 18-35mm 3.5 i see some really nice images there. Search: nikon 18-35mm | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

but a 1.8 is really worth having just for the low light capability.

2afd4f2f58f56cc6a85a503d0233f0fe.jpg

Possibly my favorite picture I've taken so far. Still learning for sure

that's a really good photo IMO i mainly shoot wild life, i have never tired anything like that before, you did a great job with that.

that's a really good photo IMO i mainly shoot wild life, i have never tired anything like that before, you did a great job with that.

As a new dad and my son waking up whenever I find myself bored at night when he's actually sleeping. So, I started playing with my sink hahaha.

Who says Nikon's 35 mm DX lens is good for portraits?
The 35 mm DX f/1.8 gets recommended often mainly because it's an inexpensive consumer grade lens.

With the DX crop factor it may be equivalent to a 52.5 mm lens on a full frame camera, but the 35 mm on a DX camera is still a 35 mm lens and will distort a subject if the point of focus distance is close to the subject.
Used wide open at f/1.8 the 35 mm f/1.8 DX focus is soft, the lens delivers purple fringing, and the DoF gets hard to control when using close focus.
If you want sharp focus stop it down at least 2 stops from f/1.8 to f/3.5. Using f/4 to f/8 is highly recommended.

I only recommend using a 50 mm lens on a DX camera when you just don't have enough room to be back out of a single subject's personal space.
At least the 50 mm lens is then equivalent to a 75 mm lens on a full frame camera, but retains it's 50 mm distorting characteristics if the point of focus is close to the subject. At least the distortion caused by the 50 mm will be less than the distortion caused by the 35 mm.

For portraits of people I only rarely used a focal length of less than 85 mm. Even then I was likely using the 85 mm because I didn't have sufficient room to use a 135 mm or linger focal length lens.
My go-to focal length for a portrait of people was 200 mm.

I have a 18-35 3.5 and its meh. Obviously great for me starting out and I probably won't buy another lens after the prime until I master what I have.

I'll put up some shots of it this weekend and have everyone tell me what I'm doing wrong haha. I probably only have 50 clicks on my camera right now

From what I've read- the 18-35 is an excellent lens for the dx mount. According to dxo, its just about the best lens you can have for under 1000 in terms of clarity.

My mistake. It's a 18-55mm. I fat fingered it.

that 18-55mm VRII is still a good lens, nothing special but very sharp, your average person would probably be pretty happy with it.

here are a few shots with my old 35mm 1.8G thes were shot at f/1.8 and there still nice and sharp right about when the sun was setting. i did notice some chromatic abberation with the lens at times but besides that no complaints as far as overall image quality.

DSC_2229.jpg DSC_2240.jpg DSC_2286.jpg DSC_2290.jpg

Nice mopar shots. Diggin the rat rod up top too. Is that individual tbs on it? Good shots overall. Much better than the picture guy at my work.

Aha! Makes sense. Yeah, the 18-55 is not a spectacular lens, but it has quite a bit of bang for the buck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back