35mm film-like positive strips

fort_da

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd like some advice since I'm far away for being an expert in these kinds of stuff. Recently, I have found in some old album, lots of 35mm film-like strips, but positive and non transparent. They are like small photos, in 35mm look like paper.

Here it is:

IMG_9612.jpg

Does anybody have any idea what exactly this is, and if and how I can make something out of it? Scan it that is.

Thanks in advance.

I would have said a contact print, but the holes at the top and bottom are not consistent with a contact print although it doesn't look like all the holes are punched through. The content is very interesting. WWII era? Maybe out of Germany? If it is from that era it predates my knowledge, which starts in the 1970s. Can I ask how you came by these images?

Yes, I'd scan them and find someone familiar with the period to find out what you really have here.

I would have said a contact print, but the holes at the top and bottom are not consistent with a contact print although it doesn't look like all the holes are punched through. The content is very interesting. WWII era? Maybe out of Germany? If it is from that era it predates my knowledge, which starts in the 1970s. Can I ask how you came by these images?

Yes, I'd scan them and find someone familiar with the period to find out what you really have here.
Yes, a German album, WW2 era, from an e-bay auction. It has lots of images.
A simple Google search found the following:

Yes, i have found that. Although it doesn't help for the scanning details. Plustek OpticFilm 8200i for example doesn't appear to be the "tool" for the job. It doesn't "read" them at all.

Thanks both for the replies. I'll search further.

I'm going to go with contact prints from a B&W negative film stock. The contact prints were machine made using a paper that was perforated to transport through the contact printer with the film. The film perforations do not precisely line up with the paper perforations suggesting both were independently cut before being brought together. Or possibly the paper was perforated by the machine as the contact prints were made?

Wow, have not seen contact print strips in a long time.

Last edited:
So I think that's the best i can make out of those. Scans from flat bed scanner:

IMG_20210625_0001.jpg

and separate photos will end up like this:

IMG_20210625_0002 copy.jpg

I could show ya some of mine Scotty! which I haven't looked at too recently (but I've seen some not all that long ago).

However I'm not sure why these were cut into strips (the ebay seller??). Usually you place the negatives under glass, a few strips at a time, zap with light in the enlarger, etc. to make 8x10" printed contact sheets.

And I guess FWIW, the purpose was instead of looking at your negatives on a light box, or held up to a lampshade, you could do a proof sheet and be able to see positive images. Then decide which ones you wanted to print, etc.

These look historically interesting.

Nice find for the images. The sprocket holes don't match the original holes in the film, so I'm voting contact prints on a machine that was designed to make strips like that.

I'm going to go with contact prints from a B&W negative film stock. The contact prints were machine made using a paper that was perforated to transport through the contact printer with the film. The film perforations do not precisely line up with the paper perforations suggesting both were independently cut before being brought together. Or possibly the paper was perforated by the machine as the contact prints were made?

thumb_up_40_color.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back