35mm = to 50mm on cropped sensors?

divided

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So if i wanted a true 50 mm FOV on my XTI, i would need a 35mm lens? Is that correct? Along the same logic, does that make my current 50mm 1.8 prime, eqivalant to a 85mm on a 35mm camera? IS this all correct or am i missing something? Is their a chart anywhere with all the conversions for cropped sensored cameras?

with respect to the angle of view provided you are approximately right.

however, even though the angle of view is approximately the same for a 50mm on full frame and a 35mm on a 1.6 crop, depth of field will be different. The smaller sensor gives more DOF than the larger sensor at the same aperture.

The smaller sensor gives more dof, does that mean more is in focus while shotting wide open? If not, can you clairfy, thanks.

more or less, yes, if the distance to the subject is the same.

p&s cameras with their extremely small sensor have a very deep DOF, which for example sometimes makes it impossible to get a blurred background
in a protrait ... even in cases where on a 35mm full fame SLR a slow lens would give a DOF shallow enough.

uhm .. technically my typing was certainly not 100% well phrased ... but practically this is how things behave.

you basically have it all right, my man.

But you don't really need a chart. Multiply your regular lens by 1.6 and you get the equivalent when you put it on a crop camera.

at first glance this seems bad because you lose wide angle photography, but your telephoto lenses have a greater effect, and if you want wide angle photography EF-S lenses(can only use on crop sensor bodies) go down to 10mm, or a pricey sigma fisheye goes to an astounding 8mm

Alex_B - thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy. :)

I recently upgraded to a DSLR from a P&S and noticed way more bokeh (I think that's what it's called) in my pictures at wider apertures. It's much easier to get something to pop off a background.

Most reactions

Back