4 for CC.

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been puking since last night. I haz the flu, but I have to get these people their gallery and before I send I'd love some CC.

All taken with a D90 and 85mm 1.4 lens.

ISO200 F 3.5 1/200
I used my SB-600 on camera with a diffusion (styfoam???) over the light because the sun was way harsh and if I didn't use the flash the shadows were really bad.... I do not like to use flash but the way the sun was on the beach at the time (4pm, sunset was at 448) I had no choice. To put the sun behind them was worse, it did not show any beach at all due to the configuration of the beach, it just showed woods.... like they were in the woods... lol She wanted beach pictures.

374922_265497753507954_100001431947276_740332_1524315089_n.jpg

ISO200 F 3.5 1/200

389500_265497696841293_100001431947276_740331_1564959119_n.jpg

iso200 f4 1/200

381031_265497800174616_100001431947276_740333_1721010986_n.jpg

iso200 f4 1/200

393613_265497656841297_100001431947276_740330_347118137_n.jpg

I think you did well considering the light. In #3, if you can soften the edges of the shadows (on their faces) in post and the light won't feel so harsh. On #2 and #3, he cropping makes me a little uncomfortable

The first photo seems like it was calling for portrait orientation as opposed to the landscape you used. The other three feel like they needed to be cropped tighter. Especially number two with just the kids. Just a tad bit over exposed too. You maybe should have dropped the aperture down some since you had flash to work with to compensate.

Thanks for the CC. :)

I have to crop wide like this because I know people will want to get an 8*10 print. If I cropped in post any closer, they would not be able to. I do have a portrait one of the first but I don't like it as much.

For #3, there is no way without cloning they can get an 8*10.... If they want that one 8*10 I'm going to have to push 8*12. :(

Last edited:
The processing of the one doesnt match the others and its bugging me lol. I am sure you have one that matches the rest of the set. Just here it looks so different than the others.

Honestly, I find that weird conglomeration of mismatched outfits they chose so distracting that I don't really even notice any lighting issues. :lol:
Sounds to me like you did what you could do given the lighting and scene choices.
If this were MY family, and *I* was the one who'd thought it was a good idea to dress everyone like that, then I would be quite happy with these photos.

Wow I'm pretty picky and I can't believe some of the comments. I think the first one is a home run. I really like them I think they are all well done, maybe a little more flash in 3 to take some of the harsh sun out but I think for using on camera flash they look really good, I might have to stop avoiding my flash.

lol well I think she tried to match her husband and her son with blue plaid shirts and jeans and then the girls with stripes....

I do have a few what to wear examples on my blog but I probably should really step up in that department and help clients more then I do now.

I really like #1, too and I think you managed the sun pretty well. I see what the other poster said about the different PP on #2 and I agree. I think it would look good keeping consistency. And for me personally, I would crop a little more bottom out on #4.

You mentioned not liking using flash. May I ask why? You did a fine job using flash on these and I would think adding more flash to your skillset, you would take your photography to a new level. Hope you feel better!

I now talk to everyone before we shoot. First thing I say is no patterns. None lol. Patterns are very distracting. I generally suggest same color family for all the group members and depending on where we are going to shoot either warm or cool tones. I also tell the women in the summer no tanks or short skirts with bare legs. This is of course for family shoots. Overall when you dress them the images generally appear more put together and polished.

The light was totally different in all the photos, but the 2nd is backlight, so the processing would be different...

I like patterns, but I agree that solid colors generally are better. I'm scared to say no patterns because I love this style

wtwfall.jpg

and there are patterns in this. I am scared if I say no patterns they are going to show up in white polos and jeans... or black shirts and kakhi... arghhhhh, I am generally bad at style, I wear jeans and tee shirts 99% of the time. so it is hard for me to articulate to others what to wear.

Maybe I can have people send me a photo of what they plan to wear and work on it with them?

Easy way to illustrate this is to take a family photo with the same people in patterns and then the same people and place in solids whether it's black or white or what not and generally 95 percent of the time people like the polished look. Of course fun accessories such as scarves tights jewelry help the blah look

The kids on the beach (#2) is my favorite because of the color. Simpily said I like the vintage look of it.
The other 3 are a wonderful set though.

I love it, you did wonderful!

I like them. My only gripe is that the second one seems to have some wierd framing. I think the boys head is a little too high in the frame for my tastes. Good job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back