$400-500 Camera Suggestion?

GrandMasterK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It'll be my christmas present and we're getting pretty close to christmas, I've put it off for some time. I haven't entered a camera savy realm yet, I'm a digital video guy so bare with me.

1. What price do decent cameras start at nowadays?

2. What camera should I look into asking for christmas thats between $400-500?

3. Am I in the price range to have such leisure features like an LCD screen and the ability to hook my camera up to the computer and transfer my pics?

4. Lens, am I in the price range to worry about specific lens and if so, what do I need to know about lens?

5. Other than number of pixels, what other aspects go into producing a great looking image and am I in the price range to call my pictures good looking?

6. I'm a digital video guy, so you know we're JUST getting 2 megapixel TVs, my monitor being a 2.3 Megapixel. My question is, in your guys experience if you found the limit where having more pixels is a necessity and if so what is that limit? I know there's got to be a point where you can not tell the difference at practical sizes, I just don't know what that is. My guess is 5-6 million pixels.

7. I know they still sell those non-digital cameras that don't work with pixels. My gut tells me ones not better then the other, they just give you different results and people have their preferences. Can I get some insight into that?

8. Finally, will this camera come with a film option to or do stores now let you take your memory cards in to have developed?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd really really appreciate the help as I gotta pick one pretty quick.

1. Define decent! DSLRs start at around $700
2. Try for a EOS350D, failing that just get a compact.
3. Yes
4. Yes, almost. Always worry about the lens. Buy a 350D with a 50mm f1.8
5. Pixels are irrelevent. Sensor size and optical quality are the things - a DSLR has a "big" sensor, nearly as big as a 35mm film slide. A compact has a sensor the size of a very small thing. This means they can use shorter lenses which are more compact and overall the production of the clever bit - the CCD is cheaper.
6. Not important, see 5.
7. I don't understand your question.
8. Again? There aren't cameras which do both film and digital in your price range. Normal digital cameras you take the card out, stick it in a booth and choose your prints and stuff.
9. There isn't a question 9

Rob

robs right on with his post, i spent $400 on a 4 megapixel digital point and shoot a couple years ago and was HIGHLY disappointed. it all depends on what you want to do with the camera. if a point and shoot is all you need, you wont have any problem finding a good camera in that price range. if you want a 35mm camera, again, no problem. but DSLR is the way to go from my perspective. The camera rob talked about is closest to your price range. i think nikon has a D50 that is comparable, but don't quote me on that, my bag is filled with canon stuff...

I think I can spring for that guy, if it's necessary. What's SLR stand for? What kind of memory cards should I get for this guy? You said get a 50mm f1.8, I have no clue what that means and why I should get it. But my real question is, what does it come with and where do I go to pick lenses? Are lenses the type of thing you that have standard sizes so they fit lots of cameras or are they custom to each specific camera?

If anybodies used it can I see a pic or 2 that you shot with it? Higher pixel count just makes for a cleaner image right, so what goes into making a good image? What are the elements of a professional camera that takes amazing shots opposed to the real crappy lookin homemade cameras?

If you want to be serious about photography, get a D50 or Rebel XT

Get it with the cheapest kit lens - playing with it you'll be able to figure out what other lenses you need.

You can get D50 for about 600? bucks

Film is better, but is more time consuming and expensive. You can always get a film body with later.

I thought they had apertures in video too. What camera are you using?

1. if budget consraints are a factor, then stay away from Canon. The price over Nikon equipment for the quality is by no means justified!
2. SLR stands for "single lens reflex".
3. Your pixel aspect will determine the quality of the size of the print you can make from it. Hence, the more pixels the better quality of a larger size print you can get. It all goes hand and hand.
Remeber this: Aside from technical skill; No matter what kind of camera you get, the image will only be as good as the glass in the lens you have mounted on it. Try to avoid the cheap off name stuff. Good Luck!
PS. me personally, I shoot film. I do have digital, but with film, I have the ability to shoot any film type I want without having to spend time in Photoshop making a digital image "mimick" something that it is not. When I scan an image from film, for all intensive purposes; it then becomes a digital image. Depending on what format I shoot (35mm, 120mm, 4"x5"), with film the quality of the image still blows the doors off a digital camera anyday of the week. Digital is great for color rendition and workflow, but not much else.

With the amount of pictures I'll be taking and my first steps into photography I don't think I'm ready for film, seems like it takes alittle more dedication then im ready for. I don't have a scanner and the inevitable resting place for 99% of the shots will be on the comp. When it comes to film and lenses and stuff, you guys keep losing me. You keep talking about mm lenses and mm film, just flies right by me. do these cameras zoom or do I have to switch lenses for that, if so I think im gonna need one that will zoom in and out, preferabally very far.

I'm about half way through it. Got a question while im still workin on it, what do I do if I want to take shots in the 2.35:1 cinemascope aspect?

GrandMasterK said:
I'm about half way through it. Got a question while im still workin on it, what do I do if I want to take shots in the 2.35:1 cinemascope aspect?
Same thing you do with video when you want 16:9 - tape over the viewfinder. Except in photography you draw lines through viewfinder.

1. if budget consraints are a factor, then stay away from Canon. The price over Nikon equipment for the quality is by no means justified!
WTF are you talking about? Canon's glass is cheaper than nikon.

You keep talking about mm lenses and mm film, just flies right by me. do these cameras zoom or do I have to switch lenses for that, if so I think im gonna need one that will zoom in and out, preferabally very far.
You can put different lenses on that camera. Pretty much anything you like. You can even attach the thing to a microscope or telescope.
The lenses that don't zoom are cheap and give good quality. (called primes)
The primes also let in a LOT of light as compared to zooms... and hence called "fast lenses"
Cheap zooms let in very little light and give you bad optical quality.
Good quality zooms cost more than a grand each. Can be more. I have about 7 grand in lenses and sometimes I still wish I had more.

Generally, you don't want the lens to zoom too much usually. If you get a lens which zooms more than 4 times you get bad quality (generally)

If you want to learn photography, GET THE cheap kit lens that comes with the camera. Once you use it, it's gonna make a whole lot more sense.

If you want to start working with the camera, then start another thread. In that thread tell what your budget is for lenses, what you want to shoot, under what conditions and how big you want to print. Then you'll get some recomendations.

IMO, you should just get the cheapest camera available to you and just get out there and take some pictures, its people that take "good" pictures not cameras, by the time you realize you have a great eye and love photgraphy, you'll know what they're all talking about on the forum and if not, at least you'll know where to find the information yourself. Good luck, looking foreward to seeing your pics!:thumbup:

-Joe

Same thing you do with video when you want 16:9 - tape over the viewfinder. Except in photography you draw lines through viewfinder.

Eh? The movies are shot in 16:9. If I want cinemascope, I either record in cinemascope or force it into that aspect in a video program. Draw lines over viewfinder, can you elaborate I don't know what you mean by viewfinder and such.

GrandMasterK said:
Eh? The movies are shot in 16:9. If I want cinemascope, I either record in cinemascope or force it into that aspect in a video program. Draw lines over viewfinder, can you elaborate I don't know what you mean by viewfinder and such.

If you want to shoot images in a different aspect ratio, you'll have to do the same thing you probably do now with your video editing and just change it post process. You can tape over your view finder (what you look through when you shoot) if you would like to have a guide or you can just guess when you're shooting. Digital SLRs shoot at a 3:2 ratio.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back