So what should I buy next

Some of my thoughts are:
SB-600 Nikon Flash
or
35mm 1.8 prime
or
50mm 1.8 prime

I will take all suggestions!

What kind of photography are you interested in?

As Soon as I posted that thread I knew I should have edited it cause that was going to be the first question.

Ok 1st everything.

But want I plan to do alot of is
1. portraits, indoors and out
2. Custom Show Cars and Trucks,
3. a little photojournalism from time to time, or when I come across stuff
4. Weather/Nature. Mostly Storms when they come up!
5. In the future maybe weddings.( This may become more important soon?)
6. Would like to do Macro but just for fun~!

And I listed them in the order of importance

Still thinkin the Flash is important!?!

Thanks again cause I already have links to those sites and have been reading them for a few weeks now! You have posted them before!!! Still great info!

So you vote for Flash first!!! Ok the SB-600 is about $200, or a little more ($240.00) so what can I use the other $200 on??? I guess you are thinking filters and such for the flash?!!!>

Anyone else with some opinions!

Cool now that is somthing I have not seen before! Thanks Again

Not that I dont think your opinion is important and Really think this is the way I am going but I am curious if anyone else has anything to add

But Samanax is there anything really important I should buy with the SB-600??? any accesories I should know about? I have some in mind but wondering what you will say!

An SB600 accessory I think is nice is the amber and the green gel filters that will allow you to shift the SB600's output close to average indoor tungsten light, so that you can set the camera's White Balance to the tungsten setting, and then use the amber-colored light coming out of the flash to compliment indoor,tungsten lighting. The green fluorescent filter will work similarly, allowing you to set the WB to fluorescent and have flash lighting that matches reasonably closely. This is a very reasonably priced accessory; I would use the remaining $160 for a lightstand, a Photoflex RUT umbrella, an umbrella swivel mount,and a Cactus trigger set. Look for a second, used,simple speedlight like a Sunpak 383 for around $25 from a real,brick and mortar camera store somewhere off the beaten path,as well as a second light stand.

Looks like some more good ideas but I will have to look up a few things cause I am not really sure what they are~ Guess it is time for more research. LOL

Personally, I vote for saving it up and buying better gear.

SB-600 for sure, that D90 can control it off camera wirelessly - no need for triggers in my opinion.

A GPS, like the Phottix or di-GPS!
(OK, that's what I did because I think it's cool and I enjoy geotagging my photos.)

I have 2 SB600's and an SB400 plus a 2 umbrella kit with stands from B&H (kit was like $150). I personally use the SB400 more but I haven't done much with the light kit yet either.

If you shop around you could probably get an SB600, umbrella kit and 50mm f/1.8D for about $400 (maybe a little more).

That's what I'd do, then you have some fast glass AND lighting equipment.

My vote is for 2-SB-600's. Yea that completely kills the $400 or a little more. But having 2 flashes really makes a difference. Can always save a little here or there and pick up stands, umbrellas, etc as you can. But can use the SB-600's right off the bat without them.

Yes, some say get better equipment. But the problem is for $400 you really can't get a much better lens than what you have. You would be only stepping up a little bit. So, for my suggestion is to get the flashes as they would open up more opportunities.

I have 3-SB-600's, plus other flashes. So, far we have used up to 6 at one time. Since you have been reading the other sites you have seen the examples of what good lighting helps you to achieve in pictures.

Personally, I vote for saving it up and buying better gear.

Ok sorry to say this was a useless statement with out some more info.

What do you consider better gear? Can you explain what I have that you would get rid of and such?

Thanks

Last edited:
My vote is for 2-SB-600's. Yea that completely kills the $400 or a little more. But having 2 flashes really makes a difference. Can always save a little here or there and pick up stands, umbrellas, etc as you can. But can use the SB-600's right off the bat without them.

Yes, some say get better equipment. But the problem is for $400 you really can't get a much better lens than what you have. You would be only stepping up a little bit. So, for my suggestion is to get the flashes as they would open up more opportunities.

I have 3-SB-600's, plus other flashes. So, far we have used up to 6 at one time. Since you have been reading the other sites you have seen the examples of what good lighting helps you to achieve in pictures.

Really dont have a reason to get all that cause I am going to build a 24 by 30 shop next year and untill then I wont have anywhere to set it all up!
I dont have a studio so I have to keep it small!

get one sb600...start there...save the balance.

*edit*
or add some wireless capability to the one sb600

Most reactions

Back