40d is at Canon repair

JohnWDavisJr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to DSLRs. Been using my Canon T2i for around 6 months. I decided recently to get an extra body. So I got a good deal on a 40d on eBay. Had an issue that I thought I could fix myself, which I can't. Plus the shutter count wasn't disclosed either. Long story short, ran a shutter count in it and it said 75,000. The issue was firmware related.

So I sent it to canon repair and didn't know what to expect as far as price. Was hoping for the best.
They sent me an estimate for $200.00. So I asked them why so much for something that is needs no parts? They said its a flat rate of $200 no matter what. ( OK, I kinda saw this online already but was hoping to be the exception)
So because of the higher shutter count I asked them to replace the shutter too and send me a new estimate. I was scared that the price was gonna double but to my surprise it was only 30 bucks more.
So I paid a lot more for the 40d than I wanted but will hopefully I will end up with a great camera soon.

Sorry so long, just wanted to share my story.

John

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

40D's a good camera, but the sensor on that T2i is better.

Yes, the purpose of the 40d was an extra body, I realize the Digic 4 is better than a digic 3 and 18mp compared to 10mp, although that doesn't matter too much to me. Same with HD video on the t2i, dont use that much at all anyway.

Last edited:
i could have paid 300 on ebay and got a decent camera with a lower shutter count, guess I shouldn't buy on eBay while drinking. :lol:

Does anyone have an idea what Canon would charge to make a repair, or am I better off just junking it as it is an older model? I know I can send it to Canon for a quote, but if anyone has had experience with a similar problem, I'd appreciate your feedback..........

Most reactions

Back