40D or D200?

dufrenbk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to make what I consider a HUGE purchase. I'm looking at getting into DSLRs. Well, I first fell in love with the 40D. I'm concerned about having a good "all-around" lens. The Nikon offering has what seems to be the perfect all around lens... the 18-200 VR, and that is greatly influencing my decision to the D200. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend. Which one is more easy to use? I know the D200 doesn't have any mode dial with auto on it. I have a wife who wants to use it but doesn't wanna learn all the technical stuff. If you recommend the 40D, I would appreciate you offering a good lens solution. Try to keep the total with the body and one or multiple lenses around $1300-$1400. Thanks for any help:D

P.S. I didn't get a chance to hold and use the D200 so I really have no idea about this one. I'm planning on going to the nearest shop that has it this weekend.

the d200 is discontinued so it is very likely your shop will not have one.

It is a wonderful camera though and it has Program mode which is basically auto mode with some open fetures.

You will be very happy with either camera so i suggest going with the one you held.

I own nikon so the D200 was a no brainer, but in your case, i would go with the canon although i can not suggest a lens

Sigma makes a Canon mount 18-200 with "optical stabiliation", iirc.

The problem is, long zooms like that aren't constant aperture and generally have poor IQ at one side of the focal range.

If yourwife does not want to bother with the technical stuff why are you considering dropping $1500 on a camera the necesitate technical knowledge. The D200 is no point and shoot and most people who just pick it up have a hard time taking photos. If you really want a DSLR look into a rebel or a D50,D80,D70. Most importantly if you/your wife pllan on just shooting in auto modes buy a nice point and shoot. DSLRs are made to take advantage of the manual controls not automatic setting.

My friend has the 30d, I took some shots on a weekend and loved it, that made me buy the 40d, and I`m in LOVE BIG TIME! I used to have a problem before with white balance. I do all of my shooting in my sunroom, and the color it put in my pictures drove me crazy. Now I have so much control, it blows me away. Plus I can take my pictures so late in the day its amazing. I can do pics with a tripod up to about almost 6:30pm and still use them for ebay! The settings are really easy to use once you get into the swing of things. The camera is solid as a rock. I`m so glad I went with it you won`t be sorry.

This statement comes from a diehard lifelong Nikon person. If you are buying the D200 (discontinued by the way) for the availability of the 18-200 by all means go out and buy the 40D. This always offends lots of people but that marginally sharp "all around" lens does not belong on the D200. If you want a lens like that there is no point in going for an uper end body like a D200. If you really want that lens get something like a D40 or a D80.

O.K. Socrates your turn.

D-50, my wife does want a simple camera to operate, to me, the more complicated, the better. I in no way wanna shoot in auto mode. I wanna get the most of every shot I can.

Stinky, what kinda lenses do you use and have you ever used your 40D in landscapes?

JIP, I was only considering Nikon because they seem to have the "better" options for all-around lenses. Why doesn't that lens belong on the D200? I'm only looking for a good all-around lens to get me started. I will be buying other lenses... just not right away.

I was looking for an all-around lens for both, just to get me started. I was just wondering what camera and lens would be the best choice for all-around to start.

Why doesn't that lens belong on the D200? I'm only looking for a good all-around lens to get me started. I will be buying other lenses... just not right away.

On a motorcycle the most important part is the tires. They keep you alive by connecting you to the road.

Putting the 18-200 on a d200-d300 is like buying tires that don't grip very well and putting them on a bike.

It's not a great lens. It's mediocre in comparison. You'd be better off buy a d50-d70 and a 70-200 f/2.8 VR or an xt or xti with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

On a motorcycle the most important part is the tires. They keep you alive by connecting you to the road.

Putting the 18-200 on a d200-d300 is like buying tires that don't grip very well and putting them on a bike.

It's not a great lens. It's mediocre in comparison. You'd be better off buy a d50-d70 and a 70-200 f/2.8 VR or an xt or xti with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

either of those lenses alone cost more than i'm willing to spend to get started. hmmm, maybe i'll just buy a lens and duct tape it to the end of my point and shoot...:lmao:

If you are interestedin the technical side of photography than the D200 will be greatbut considering your wife doesnot want to deal with manual modes I can almost garuantee she will quickly becomefrustrated with the camera and either leave all the shooting up to you or ask for a more automatic camera that she can use. Because of this go with a d80 it has mostof the manual features of the D200 and auto features your wife can use. Forsomeone with no knowledge of DSLR?SLR cameras stepping into the D200 is a challenge. If you are a technical person you'llpickit up, if technology is not your thing your in for astruggle.

Also you mentioned the high price of lenses... If your going with a D200 you owe it to yourself and the camera to put good glass on it. In myopinion your lenses should not be much cheaper than your body because lenses are the true long term investment while a body is going to come and go.

could someone recommend a good wide to zoom lens to put on the D40? I guess I'll start my expensive glass collection...

Depends on your budget. The 18-70 is a decent lens and not that expensive. Its a good walking around lens and a goodlens to start with. You can go wrong with any of Nikons 2.8s but those are all very expensive ($1000 +) I love my 50mm 1.8 sand thats only $100, everyone should have a 50mm at that price. A lens Ive grown quite fond of is mySigma 70-200 2.8 and its not priced too high

my budget is as i stated above $1300-1400 for the camera and one lens that covers a good range or 2 lenses that cover pretty much the same range.

Tamron makes a good(according to the reviews) 17-50 f/2.8 Its not very long, but its a great focal range to start with, especially shooting indoors, friends, family things, etc. And the 2.8 is very nice to have as well. It comes in a Canon or Nikon mount and at $400, its the next lens on my list, until I can save some money for some L glass.

I think you could go either Nikon or Canon with a Tamron 17-50 And be off to a very happy start.

I'm about to just say, "no DSLR for me." I'm getting the feeling that unless you spend $1,000,000 on equipment, you won't be happy with the results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back