40D or D200

Well I handled the cameras, and the 40D seems huge and heavy, while the XTi is too small and featherweight. ;) can never be happy. So I decided to go ahead with the XTi, and like I said, it could become my extra body down the road. Now that I'm fixed on the cam and lenses, what are your opinions for accessories? Here are some questions:
-Speedlight 430EX - just under 200, do I really need spend the extra 150 for a 580EX? 430 looks like a great flash (I tried it at the store) and its already too huge for the XTi. Or do you recomend to get something non canon for a better deal? Ideas?
-Sandisk Extreme III - is what I've used and will use with this camera. Get one 16gb unit and save, or not put all my eggs in the same basket and buy two smaller ones? Even at a wedding it would yield over 1000 photos, hence no memory changes>>less likely to damage the card.
-Battery Grips - Opteka or Targus instead of BG-E3 and for third of the price? Many reviewed these, and were satisfied with both (sometimes more with the aftermarket one).
-NB-2LH Batteries - There are so many out there... any recomended afmkt brands? I just don't see a reason to spend $50 on one if I can get two for the same price.
-Flash diffusers (for built in, 430, 580), which are the best value/recomended? Lens filters, which are good aftermarket brands? Lens hoods, spend $$ on canon, or is the aftmkt no different? All ideas and experiences are welcome!

Flash - you need all you can get. There's no such thing as "too much" flash. If you know how to use it, of course. Plus, if you get the 580, you can use it as a master down the road, when you get the 430. In my opinion, the flash is not where you should save money. However, there are other brands, like the Sigma equivalent of 580. They're said to be pretty good.
Cards - the general agreement is two small ones are better than one huge one. 16GB is A LOT for the XTi. Get two 4GBs, or 8GB. My 30D puts out 220 RAW images on a 2GB card, for comparison.
Grip - from what i read here, the Opteka seems a good alternative for an XTi. Not so much for 30D or 40D.
Batteries - Sterlingtek are the best alternative, or so many think. Their revenues have definitely grown since Big Mike became such a fan. :mrgreen: I have two, bought for $31 including shipping to Israel, and they're like bottomless wells.
Lens hood - i bought a Chinese copy, and while it does its job, it feels and looks cheaper, and doesn't latch on very well. I always check to see if it didn't rotate out of place, cause i does sometimes.
All in all - the price on the original is ridiculous, so it's a good buy.

Oh what I've actually meant with the flash is that it looks too big on the body of the XTi. But thats just because the camera is so small. Can anyone tell me the major advantages to getting cannon flashes vs. aftermarket? I mean the 430 does seem like a good deal for under $200 and with the features it has.
Also anyone wants to dispute/suggest an alternative to SD Extreme III flash? I see a lot of Lexar Profesional floating around. Thanks for your reply!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back