40D vs 50D

rhinoryan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
which one would i be better off buying.... i know the 50D has more mega pixels and video but those two things dont interest me anyway, i mainly want either one for the fps..... upgrading from a 1000D.
i was going to go down the 7D road but figure i'd be better off getting something cheaper and spend more on glass.

i'm also looking into some off camera flash work.... i dont have a flash or anything like that and was thinking about getting 2 and also need advice on slaves etc..... i'm a newbie so i'm trying to do this on the tightest possible budget

was also thinking is there waterproof flashes? i've been thinking it would be great to get a mate to swim out with a flash on dusk at my local beach and try getting some shots of my mates surfing while i'm on the beach with my telephoto...... or would a waterproof plastic bag work ok?

50D does NOT have video. It does have more pixels, and other good things, but if that interests you not, then pick up a good used 40D. Don't know about waterproofing a flash.

Go with the 40D, the used market is pretty good with them right now and the 50D wasn't a huge upgrade. As for the flash issue and on a budget, look into the cactus transmitters and receivers they are cheap and you get what you pay for.

The 50D isn't worth the extra cash... 40D :thumbup:

Having owned both the 40D and the 50D at one point, I would say go for the 50D. Right now on Adorama you can get a factory refurb 40D for $699. You can get a factory refurb 50D for $929. For the $230 difference you get higher resolution, micro-adjustment (I'll never own another body without this feature), high-res LCD display (this wound up being pretty big to me), updated menus, contrast focusing and face detection in Live View, and a few other little tweaks.

But if $230 will break the bank, go with the 40D. It's still a good camera, just a little dated on features. It will take stunning photographs which is all that's important in the end.

the 50d is worth the extra cash just to be able to check your focus on the LCD screen.
Yup, the 40D's display is useless for anything more than viewing a histogram or confirming the camera actually fired, you captured something and the framing is ok. If you want to confirm focus... get a 50D. I like to be able to see if my shot is in focus or not. I hated the display on my 40D.

Most reactions

Back