45 Exposures for One Image...

I dig the light painting and multiple images but the end result looks like your run of the mill over cooked HDR image.

Why would you even have any use for a pocketwizard for this, assuming you HAVE one I still don't even know why you would USE it on this shoot???
Every flash unit I've ever seen has a big button built right onto the back of it that says "PILOT." If you walk around the scene in a dark hoodie and push it, the flash fires each time and you get your painted scene..... You don't need any wireless anything!

Even if you are near-homeless and can only afford some kind of silly $5 flash unit with no pilot button, a soldered radioshack button onto the hot shoe solves your problem. Or a paperclip...

Why would you even have any use for a pocketwizard for this, assuming you HAVE one I still don't even know why you would USE it on this shoot???
Every flash unit I've ever seen has a big button built right onto the back of it that says "PILOT." If you walk around the scene in a dark hoodie and push it, the flash fires each time and you get your painted scene..... You don't need any wireless anything!

Even if you are near-homeless and can only afford some kind of silly $5 flash unit with no pilot button, a soldered radioshack button onto the hot shoe solves your problem. Or a paperclip...

Doggone it Gav, stop being so doggone practical!!! You're harshing the buzz the PocketWizard people had goin' earlier today!

To be fair considering the flash is oft on the end of a long beam so unless you've got really long fingers you won't be pressing the little red button on the back.

I've also never tried it but I suspect trying to time a dslr shutter on a normal exposure to the manual pressing of the flash button would be daft.

I can see a need for a wireless trigger in this situation. You've the flash a long distance away and you won't want long cables getting in the way to communicate to the flash so having a wireless solution is practical. Not sure if its a particularly showy scene that really promotes the powers of PW - a set of working cheap wireless triggers would have done about the same level of performance.

My issue though is that the end result just doesn't look like the mobility of the flash has been used to its advantage for the end result and that one could have taken much less than 40 odd photos and just varied the exposure time to get a similar end result with photo blending in HDR.

So yes the original link looks pretty aweful, imo. But besides Royce Bair what are some other photographers you would recommend for those wanting to light large objects, say an old mill? I am starting a personal project about a 800,000 sq ft mill being converted into artist studios and a coffee shop. I think some nice exterior night shots would be a great addition to more normal interior shots.

I've also never tried it but I suspect trying to time a dslr shutter on a normal exposure to the manual pressing of the flash button would be daft.
Just one exposure. Neutral density filter if needed. Let it sit there are run the whole time, and don't stand anywhere for too long

Honestly, I bet if someone took the 4 exposures of the tractor in the article, they could come up with something better...

Honestly, I bet if someone took the 4 exposures of the tractor in the article, they could come up with something better...

This was my first thought, 3 or 5 bracketed exposures.

But that's not the point. Do you really think the truck would be as sharp and clear if they had used HDR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More power to him if he's sellin' this stuff, but I don't really find it too impressive...

But that's not the point. Do you really think the truck would be as sharp and clear if they had used HDR?

I didn't say use HDR--just a little more tact with the light painting.

I spent about 2 minutes and combined the 5 shots from the article: http://i59.tinypic.com/169gw1e.jpg I think the tractor looks much better, it just needs a bit more even lighting (it's coming a across much brighter from what I saw on screen, I think I need to calibrate the monitor on the machine I did it on).

Last edited:

I didn't say use HDR--just a little more tact with the light painting.

I spent about 2 minutes and combined the 5 shots from the article: http://i59.tinypic.com/169gw1e.jpg I think the tractor looks much better, it just needs a bit more even lighting (it's coming a across much brighter from what I saw on screen, I think I need to calibrate the monitor on the machine I did it on).

Much better.

Most reactions

Back