$5 antique store find

joshL0816

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I just bought this ancient 500mm lens from an antique shop for $5. Any idea what this lens mount is? I am having no luck finding it. I am hoping on adapting it to a Sony a6000.
IMG_20190115_193349314.jpeg
IMG_20190115_193342305.jpeg
IMG_20190115_193402915.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

CF...... Canon FD?

I think it might be a "T-mount" lens...meaning it has an interchangeable rear mount that is held in place by some small, set-screws. Not sure on this, but there does appear to be a set-scre in the one photo.

The show rear mount has a _female_ characteristic to it...and it looks to me to be a Canon FD mount style, with the three, female receptacles.

I think it might be a "T-mount" lens...meaning it has an interchangeable rear mount that is held in place by some small, set-screws. Not sure on this, but there does appear to be a set-scre in the one photo.

The show rear mount has a _female_ characteristic to it...and it looks to me to be a Canon FD mount style, with the three, female receptacles.
Interesting. I was wondering about the small screws... The metal has different sheen to it on the part that could be the interchangeable portion. I was hesitant to take the screws out because I didn't want to make it unusable. Might have to get bold and just try it. O guess it's only 5 bucks though...

I there are multiple set-screws that hold the rear mount in position, it is almost certainly a T-mount lens.

HERE is a current Velo-branded T-mount, for Sony E-mount cameras. Price? $13.50. "T-mount lens to Sony E-mount camera." Do you see how this system works? It's super-simple, and was used a LOT in the 1970's and 1980's, especially on common, third-party lenses, like 500mm f/8 mirror lenses, and other long-length lenses. The lenses were designed so that the specific T-mount could be put into position on the rear of the lens, and ONE,single lens design could be made adaptable to many,many types of cameras.

VelloT-Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Lens Adapter

Is it a Adaptall mount without the actual mount?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think Derrel's nailed it! But I wouldn't touch the set screws just yet.
with all the T2 lenses I've had the mount simply unscrews. T2 is a M42x0.75mm thread with 55mm registration.
The 3 set screws are just used to align the lens, the adapter is usually in 2 parts a threaded core & an outer mount.

It should be easy to adapt to your Sony, either using FD-NEX or T2-NEX options. :)

$5 should prove a bargain price for it, especially as it has a hood.

I think Derrel's nailed it! But I wouldn't touch the set screws just yet.
with all the T2 lenses I've had the mount simply unscrews. T2 is a M42x0.75mm thread with 55mm registration.
The 3 set screws are just used to align the lens, the adapter is usually in 2 parts a threaded core & an outer mount.

It should be easy to adapt to your Sony, either using FD-NEX or T2-NEX options. :)

$5 should prove a bargain price for it, especially as it has a hood.
Sounds like a good plan. I appreciate it!

If you take apart a camera or lens and remove those tiny screws, you may want to put it all on a towel or cloth as you work on it. You don't want those tiny screws to bounce...

I had a similar 500mm f/8 T-mount lens back in the 80's. Great fun to play with and easy to carry anywhere. Hard to focus, but that might be easier on a mirrorless body.

Thanks again everyone for the advice, I ended up using a FD - NEX adapter on the mount that was already on there. Here is an image, I was about 100 yards away from the subject.
LRM_EXPORT_203921066233218_20190117_135723955.jpeg

Most reactions

Back