5 games from the big trophy

Tony S

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's playoff time for basketball as teams try to make it to get their names engraved on the state championship trophy...

#1 Sneaking in from behind for the steal...
400987489.jpg

#2 Some wide angle action for those who like the whole scene...
400987492.jpg

#3 She sees the hammer coming down...
401005953.jpg

#4 "I want you to..."
401005971.jpg

#5 Split the defenders ...
401005977.jpg

#6 One from the left side...
400987414.jpg

#7 and one from the right...
400987484.jpg

I would have cropped them a little tighter, taken some of the empty space out around the players. otherwise they look good, timing is good. Nice action.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I usually crop a bit tighter but these (which are not cropped at all) are posted up with room left in them for cropping to different sizes when prints are ordered. I was too lazy and at work with no editor to recrop for posting here, but the only one I would probably crop tighter would be #3. #'s 1 and 4 would get a crop for a different aspect ratio to take some off the top and bottom only.

The problem with posting photos that aren't ready for posting is that it can have a negative reaction on the photographers abilities. Always take the time and post the best.

The problem with posting photos that aren't ready for posting is that it can have a negative reaction on the photographers abilities. Always take the time and post the best.

Spoken like a pro. However for the rest of us, sometimes it's nice to see others efforts even if they haven't spent minutes/hours in PP polishing them up for 'selling' to a client.

To the OP, I appreciate your effort. As you didn't request C&C I don't have any to give. Personally I like #5 and #1. Great action shots. Also, just curious what lens/settings you were using?

Last edited:

Spoken like a pro. However for the rest of us, sometimes it's nice to see others efforts even if they haven't spent minutes/hours in PP polishing them up for 'selling' to a client.

To the OP, I appreciate your effort. As you didn't request C&C I don't have any to give. Personally I like #5 and #1. Great action shots. Also, just curious what lens/settings you were using?

I spend very little time on the photos I shoot, usually minor things, I try to do most of it in camera.

The problem with posting photos that aren't ready for posting is that it can have a negative reaction on the photographers abilities.

Ahh, that may be for someone trying to impress or show a portfolio, but at times it helps to put the un-cropped un-PP'd image up to get ideas and comment to work with on the next time out shooting. The minimally processed image can be a great learning tool.

CMfromIL, I'm always open to CC. I take the good, the bad and the ugly and keep them in the back of my head for the next time out shooting to see if any of it will work to make images better. These were shot with a Canon 1DMKIII, 70-200 2.8 IS at ISO 6400 f3.2 @ 1/640. It's one of the few gyms where I can get the shutter speed up that high, one I shot in earlier in the week read 1/125 @ f2.8 and I was able to get away with 1/320 without too much noise pushing a RAW file in PP.

I spend very little time on the photos I shoot, usually minor things, I try to do most of it in camera.

If that's the case then why are you telling the OP to not post anything without PP first? heh.

The darkroom is the Photoshop of yesteryear. Photos have always been edited. ;)

If that's the case then why are you telling the OP to not post anything without PP first? heh.

The darkroom is the Photoshop of yesteryear. Photos have always been edited. ;)

If this is directed at the comment I made, I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. Photos have not always been edited, good photographers know how to put the image together in the camera. There is a huge difference between using photoshop and working in a darkroom. If you've shot a lot of film and worked in a darkroom you will understand that not having the correct exposure generally can't be fixed. Digital, you can blow the exposure by several stops and using software "fix" the mistake.

Posting images that aren't the best images is not a good thing. Camera owners without the experience working with the software post images looking for suggestions, and when comments are made some get all upset because they are hearing the truth. The more that can be done in camera, where only small corrections in post are made, the better.

Posting images that aren't the best images is not a good thing. Camera owners without the experience working with the software post images looking for suggestions, and when comments are made some get all upset because they are hearing the truth. The more that can be done in camera, where only small corrections in post are made, the better.

They are when you are learning. You have 35+ years shooting. I've got less than 3 months. I'd imagine 35 years ago your shots were not much better than what I'm doing now.

This is a forum for learning. If we were posting pictures in the 'pro' section your comments would have much more merit.

Another way of looking at it is like a parent teaching a child. I don't get down on my kids because they can't do complex business spreadsheets, even though I'VE been doing them for 20 years, and for me it's easy-peasy. I have to step back from my 'professional' viewpoint, and remember that to get where I am didn't occur overnight.

Frustrating....perhaps, but it sure doesn't help them to toss out comments without some sort of guidence. Cropping, exposure, WB, etc are great if you know them backwards and forwards.

Anyways, that's my $.02.

If I make a comment saying that the photos should be cropped to remove the empty space, that is a positive comment made to help improve the images, but what I see is the same people posting images over and over but not cropping any of them, but still asking for comments. The comment will always be the same, crop out the empty space. It is one of the single easiest ways to improve an image that doesn't require years of practice. It is easy for me to make a suggestion, especially where sports are concerned, but I haven't always just shot sports, and no my images have not always been what they are now. I learned and remembered what I was told. I don't look at every single image and ask myself what I would have done, but experience tells me what can be done to make it a stronger image, and I will make that suggestion. If people want to post images straight from the camera then that's fine, I will comment if they ask for one.

People that want to get better, appreciate the comments, those that don't, complain about the suggestions. This isn't just about this forum, I get it from professionals as well.

People that want to get better, appreciate the comments, those that don't, complain about the suggestions. This isn't just about this forum, I get it from professionals as well.

Fair enough.

There was one other thing I should have mentioned. I have had a long career and hope to stay with it, and what I have always done is offer help and suggestions to anyone that asks, including the pros that I work around. Most know that I understand sports and how to shoot them, I point them in the right direction and then it's up to them. There are no secrets to being a better photographer, it's just practice, and with that comes mistakes. For the most part, it should be fun, it isn't always, it's really frustrating at times. If I can pass along what I have learned then that's what is important to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back