$5000 - fresh start

ORourkeK

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you were to start over and had 5-6k to spend, and are a portrait photog, what do you buy? Just curious to see what people would do . Camera body and lenses only .

Being constrained to that budget would make it tough.

(edit) But 480sparky did it.

Fuji GFX 50 Medium format and 50mm f3.5.

Plus an all LED continuous lighting set up.

I`d get the Fuji XF56mm f1.2 and the XF16mm f1.4 to go with my X-T3 and XF90mm f2.

Nikon D850, Nikon PF 500mm 5.6

Hasselblad 500CM with an 80mm and a 150mm and a decent flatbed scanner. Use the rest on film and chemicals, maybe a flash and softbox.

Nikon D700 + AF 105mm f2 DC
Serious Godox Flash setup including ring flash and studio strobes
Light stands
Light modifiers (softbox, snoot, reflectors etc)
Serious 4K Monitor, color corrected, and computer & raw editor of your choice (Photoshop ? Capture One ? etc)

D850 105 f/1.4. Right now my goto portrait is my D850 and 105 f/2.8 micro nikkor. It isn't a f/1.4 but it isn't bad.

98% of my own work is done in a small studio with flash (around F4-f5.6) and is almost exclusively viewed via Instagram, so lately I’ve been very very accepting that I can get away with much less resolution and (dare I say it) maybe even a crop sensor. I think if I had $5k to do portraits I’d get a 7Dii, sigma’s 18-35mm F1.8, and Sigma’s 50-100mm F1.8... I have never used any of those pieces before, but I’m really intrigued by the relative compactness involved for the level of versatility you can get from those three items all paired up. So yeah, for what I shoot, that’s what I’d get... And a neat little pelican case.

Most reactions

Back