What's new

500D to 50D.. Should I?

If I were you I'd just save up $250 more and buy yourself a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, I'm using the 500D and that lens and can get some very sharp, great looking pictures. It's all about the photographer behind the camera, and secondly the glass. The IS on that lens is also pretty great for someone who may not be so skilled at taking steady shots yet, I can take steady looking hand held shots at 1/20.
 
jus a quickie, I recommend you donot buy EF-S lens' stick with EF lenses
 
jus a quickie, I recommend you donot buy EF-S lens' stick with EF lenses

Why?
Granted some of the EFS lenses are poor choices, but there are some which have some very good optics - such as the EFS 60mm macro and the 10-20mm (canon and sigma brands) which are both very popular on crop sensor cameras - the 10-20mm especailly since it gives that wider angle of view on a sensor which is much smaller and so tend to crop off the sides of the traditional wide angle lenses like the 17-40mm

This is all moot point of course if your intending to upgrade to a 5D or other full frame camera, but if your not then by all means do consider EFS lenses as a viable option.
 
This is all moot point of course if your intending to upgrade to a 5D or other full frame camera, but if your not then by all means do consider EFS lenses as a viable option.
I suspect that was his point.

___________________________________
New Canon Forums: www.kwanonians.com
 
true but the OP is talking about a 500D to 50D upgrade and hasn't mentioned an interest in moving to a fullframe camera (as yet). If they are not then its foolish for them not to consider EFS glass if it suited their needs and fits their budget.
 
If you are buying quality lens, it doesn't matter if it is a EF, EF-S or a lens for crop or FF body.

Those lens holds their values. Chances are you can sell them back without losing much if needed. It because the new lens value also goes up and if the lens is popular, people will buy them used.
 
So I did some googling and read up a little on the differences between EF and EF-S.

Essentially, the EF is compatible with ALL cameras and EF-S is only compatible with mid-range cameras, correct? (Canon SLRs, of course)

If this is the case, I think I'll be willing to spend a little more on the EF lenses for future proofing. Well, I'm thinking about buying the "beginner" zoom EF-S lens and selling it when I upgrade. Or maybe just go straight for a better one.. so many choices!
 
Last edited:
If your Rebel is the silver-bodied style, you blend in better with the happy snapper crowd. The small, ultra-compact Rebel series bodies don't fit my meathook hands very well unless a battery grip in on there, but for a day knocking around the park, or the zoo, or at the State Fair, the smaller,lighter, more consumer-looking camera bodies draw less attention. That's my experience. The integral-grip cameras that weigh 3.8 pounds, or even my 20D + grip draws more stares and comments than a "small body" d-slr.

As far as a good lens for $400...think Tamron...or think used.
 
So I did some googling and read up a little on the differences between EF and EF-S.

Essentially, the EF is compatible with ALL cameras and EF-S is only compatible with mid-range cameras, correct? (Canon SLRs, of course)

If this is the case, I think I'll be willing to spend a little more on the EF lenses for future proofing. Well, I'm thinking about buying the "beginner" zoom EF-S lens and selling it when I upgrade. Or maybe just go straight for a better one.. so many choices!


Sometimes, you have not choice. If you like to buy a lens that cover the ultra wide view, you have no choice but buying a lens that designed for cropped body such as the EF-S lens from Canon, DII from Tamron, DX from Sigma ....

And by no mean the EF-S = crap. And EF = good. You can buy quality lenses that are made for crop sensor camera. i.e. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II
 
Sometimes, you have not choice. If you like to buy a lens that cover the ultra wide view, you have no choice but buying a lens that designed for cropped body such as the EF-S lens from Canon, DII from Tamron, DX from Sigma ....

Why is this? Because it is just too large to fit onto the body, or because it's just different thread/mount? Thanks for the response, btw!

Also.. I just got back from my girlfriend's university gym, I photographed their volleyball game. The lighting was decent, but I had to have the aperture wide open with (at the fastest) a 1/400 shutter speed and ISO around 3200 to get a decent shot. If I wanted to zoom at all, I'd have to crank the ISO up higher.. pretty noisy shots. Will a "fast" lens allow me to turn down the ISO but still achieve well exposed shots?

The 3.4 shots per second of the 500D is a bit slow for sports photography. It's kind of pushing me towards the 50D..

Anyways, what's a GOOD fast lens you would recommend as a keeper?
I'd definitely be willing to spend more than $300, as long as it's one I'll be keeping around for a long time and not just what some of you have considered a "beginner" lens. I figure if I'm going to do any indoor sports photography at all without flash, I'll need a really fast lens.
 
Will a "fast" lens allow me to turn down the ISO but still achieve well exposed shots?

YES. For indoor volleyball, a 50mm f/1.8 to f/1.4 lens would be very handy, as would be Canon's 85mm f/1.8 EF lens. Volleyball is a fast-paced sport, but luckily the distances involved are not all that wildly varying, like on say, soccer or baseball, so the focusing in volleyball is confined to a reasonable distance,and there is also a lot of action tat occurs at fairly predictable locations on the court; like blocks and kill shots--those always occur right near the net.

You have the idea right--a fast lens will allow you to open up the lens to a wide aperture, and dial the ISO down a notch to say 1600, and still maintain a good shutter speed capable of stopping action.
 
Ok thank you. I was shooting at very low speeds already; The Kit lens that the 500D came with isn't very good for sport photography! :lol:

How would you guys rate the Kit lenses on the 50D or D90?

I ask because I'm thinking about getting the 50D tomorrow, but I do really love the HD video of the 500D. I'm very indecisive, and for that.. I apologize.
 
Last edited:
50D has hd video too...

anyone got a 50D for free? lol
(just watched a video review on it*drool*)
looks amazing!!!!! and the new CA mode is quite smart, and I love the quick setting change function!
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom