50mm 1.8D only for DX cameras?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been stalking ebay for a cheap 50mm 1.8d and came across someone selling one because they say they are changing to an FX camera and don't need the lens any more. But to my knowledge the 1.8 D works fine on both DX and FX... Does anyone know if this person just made a mistake or is there also a 50mm 1.8 D made only for DX cameras that I haven't heard of?

The 50mm/1.8 & f/1.4 AF-D requires an in-body focus motor for AF focusing
The d7x00 and all FX cameras have an in-body focus motor. (and some of the older bodies I think like the d90, d70)

I think they are mistaken.

I bought my 50/1.8 AF-D for my d7000 DX and now use it on my d600 FX.

It's not the one auction where the person is selling a d5100 with a "50mm F/1.8 D" lens with a picture of a 50mm AF-S G lens is it ?

There is no Nikon 50mm "DX", no matter the f-number.

A "D" in a Nikkor lens stands for distance. Its a lens that gives distance information for the flash. Older lenses didnt offered this information.

For example there is an older "AF 135mm f/2.0 DC" and a younger "AF 135mm f/2.0 D DC", the younger lens being the one which gives the distance information.

And the "G" on Nikon lenses means there is no aperture control ring anymore on the lens, the aperture is controlled by the camera. It also means that "D" is also included; all G lenses have this feature and no longer list it in their official name.

As explained before, an AF lens requires a camera motor, while an AF-S has a builtin motor. All DX lenses are AF-S. Only the higher DX bodies have a builtin motor.

What they mean, probably is they do not need this focal length on a FF camera.

Let me just add on what "solarflare" and "astroNikon" say.
Nikon 50mm 1.8D will work on all modern DSLR Nikon cameras and the older ones too that has F mount but for the lens to Auto Focus you will need a camera that has the inbody focus motor.
If you are fine with manually focusing then this is a great lens, if you want a lens that will auto focus on all cameras then get the Nikon 50mm 1.8G which should be about 80$ more expensive used, its also optically superior even though the 50mm 1.8D is an excellent camera.

Just wondering what camera do you have ?

Sorry, should have said. I have a Nikon d610. Yeah I was pretty sure it wasn't a problem for my camera just got confused by what he said. Could be that he is changing to an FX camera without this motor thing, although most likely I think he just didn't know he could use it on both cameras :)

Sorry, should have said. I have a Nikon d610. Yeah I was pretty sure it wasn't a problem for my camera just got confused by what he said. Could be that he is changing to an FX camera without this motor thing, although most likely I think he just didn't know he could use it on both cameras :)
I think all the new and old FX cameras have this motor thing :)

You'll find stuff like this on eBay. I got my 70-300 VR new for $200 on eBay because a photography teacher in a school retired and the school was cleaning out the room and were selling items to raise money for something. I got a sweet deal. It was totally new. Never used.

But I have also came across someone trying to sell a Nikon D5100 but the pictures were of a Nikon Coolpix super zoom p&s next to a D5100 box. Sounded like a scam to me, I reported that one.

Sometimes you can find awesome deals on eBay but you gotta be careful.

The 50mm f/1.8 AF-D lens would work full function on all Nikon FX cameras. It's the normal lens for the FX format.

The seller is an idiot.

50mm's have been sold for 35mm equivalent cameras in kits since the 1950's.

As others have stated, the 50 1.8 D is an FX lens.
Personally, I would get the G.
I've owned both.
The G is better.

Most reactions

Back