50mm blurry

rdefined

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Have a D90 and just purchased a 50mm AF. All my other lenses are AF-S and I can't figure out how to speed up the pictures and I'm getting terrible camera shake.

"Speed up the pictures?" I'm not 100% sure what you mean here and I think it would help if you could post some examples as well as go into more detail about the specific problem you've got. What at the settings (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) that you're using for shots and which setting is it that you're having problems controlling.

I have the 50 1.8 and it does seem to be more prone to camera shake. I find that Im usually bracing a larger lens better and that might help with my shots. I have some other AFS lenses but I rarely have AFS turned on. Try upping ISO or using wide enough apertures to keep the shutter speed at 1/50 to 1/125 and that should be enough if you are careful. I just used mine yesterday and had to remember to keep things stable.

For matters pertaining to posture and hand holding of the camera watch this:

ps the right eye - left eye thing. Most people are opposite dominant eyed to their dominant hand. If you're right handed you're likely left eyed and vis versa. However even if you're right eyed you can still shoot left eyed (I do this myself, it just feels much more natural to shoot with the camera left eyed over right).

You can test your eyes yourself; just hold up a finger and line it up with something far off in the distance (eg a tree). Then close one eye, if your finger remains in the same place relative to the object in the distance then that is your dominant eye; if your finger moves out of line with the object in the distance then that eye is not your dominant eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
ps the right eye - left eye thing. Most people are opposite dominant eyed to their dominant hand. If you're right handed you're likely left eyed and vis versa. However even if you're right eyed you can still shoot left eyed (I do this myself, it just feels much more natural to shoot with the camera left eyed over right).

You can test your eyes yourself; just hold up a finger and line it up with something far off in the distance (eg a tree). Then close one eye, if your finger remains in the same place relative to the object in the distance then that is your dominant eye; if your finger moves out of line with the object in the distance then that eye is not your dominant eye.

This is very interesting - I am right handed and according to that test I am left eye dominant, but I shoot with my right eye and it feels unnatural to me to use my left eye.

This is very interesting - I am right handed and according to that test I am left eye dominant, but I shoot with my right eye and it feels unnatural to me to use my left eye.

+1

post some shots with the exif data (shoot data).. so we can see.

^ Agree... if we can actually see a good example of what you are seeing along with the camera settings then you should be a lot more helpful advice.

If you're getting camera shake with a 50mm I'm guessing you're using too small of an aperture or shooting in very low light (or a combo of the two). Try a larger aperture (smaller f-number) you should be shooting at a minimum of 1/50 (min shutter should always match focal length when hand held .. take magnification factors into consideration if you're not shooting full frame)

thank you, now I have an explanation: left is dominant. I'm unable to look at the viewfinder with the right eye.

Overread said:
For matters pertaining to posture and hand holding of the camera watch this:
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk

I have no dominant eye. And let me tell you how much that sucks. No matter what I do, my brain is unable to 'forget' about the other eye. It's more than just annoying. Unfortunately I then end up closing whichever I I'm not using, and then I get strange perceptions after that as they remain out of focus for a while. It's so bad I've even considered an eye patch (I don't wear glasses) but but I'd rather not look that strange. Anyone else have that problem?

I'm right handed, right eye dominant. I have the 50mm f1.8D and it is ridiculously sharp for the price.

Where are the pictures?

Am I the only one who is completely unable to do this? How can you line up a pen with something in the distance? If I focus on the pen, it makes the distant object "double" and if I focus on the distant object, the pen is doubled. Does this mean I do not have a dominant eye?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back