50mm for Olympus e-500

jordanyeo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have an Olympus e-500, and I'm looking to get a 50mm prime lens. I'm trying to go as inexpensive as possible, and as far as I know the cheapest Olympus Digital lens is around $400, where the Nikon or Canon's are around $150. I don't think it's possible, but is there any type of adapter to use cross brand lenses? Another option I'm looking at is buying the Olympus adapter to use the old SLR OM lenses- I saw an offbrand brass adapter for $20 off ebay, and see the 50mm f1.8 OM lenses for around $50 used... think it will be worthwhile at all?

Thanks!

Why not get the 25mm pancake? It's only $249, and you wouldn't want a 50mm on your Olympus anyway, right?

you wouldn't want a 50mm on your Olympus anyway, right?

And why not?

Jordanyeo,

This is from the Olympus site -

MF-1 OM Adapter (OM to 4/3 Lens Adapter)
260231.jpg
Price: $99.99
Permits the adaption of certain Olympus OM lenses to be used with any E-System Digital SLR. Autofocus(AF)is not available.
Stop-down metering is used.
Spot metering does not work properly.
Although it is possible to use A (aperture priority AE) mode in auto exposure, the aperture display is not available.
The aperture display in M (Manual) is not available.
In P (Program AE) or S (Shutter speed - priority AE) mode, the shutter releases, but the auto exposure control does not work.
The distance scale on the OM system lens may not indicate the actual distance. Always use the viewfinder for focusing.

The reason the 50mm is so expensive is because it is a Zuiko High Grade lens. You could try ebay but I see them selling used for over $300...

Cheers, Don

i would think that sigmas 30mm f/1.4 would probably be a good choice.

Sigma looks nice, but out of my price range. Basically I'm just wondering if I can get anything decent in the $100-$150 range, and if the OM lenses work well with the E500.

Really the only eason you always see the 50mm named as a "must have" is because it is a cheap fast lens for Canon or Nikon. I really don't think a 50 is a great focal length for digital but I guess that is a personal opinion. I do agree however with the person who named a 30mm wether you go for a Sigma or Olympus. I guess it is too bad though that you did not look into the lens convienience issue before buying into the Olympus system.

Okay,

Depends on what you're shooting though, doesn't it?

I use the 14-54mm to document my work, the 40-150 and 70-300 to play :lmao:

Cheers, Don

From what I've gathered from the TC, it seems that he wants a normal walkaround lens. I don't know, maybe I'm just assuming; maybe he really wants that particular FOV.

From what I've gathered from the TC, it seems that he wants a normal walkaround lens. I don't know, maybe I'm just assuming; maybe he really wants that particular FOV.

For what I gather the OP wants that particular lens cheap....

Not gonna happen :lol:

Sigma looks nice, but out of my price range. Basically I'm just wondering if I can get anything decent in the $100-$150 range, and if the OM lenses work well with the E500.

Sell the 500 and buy a Canikon so you can use cheap lens :lmao:

Whoa now, Just Kidding......

Cheers, Don

Is my cheapness obvious? hehe. The reason I have an E500 in the first place, was that I got it as an open box clearance special with 2 batteries, and camera bag for $200. Otherwise, I would have gone for Canon or Nikon :p

I ended up buy a $20 convertor ring, and the lens for $40 off ebay- I'll see how it turns out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back