50mm: Sigma vs. Nikon

genital_apparatus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I need some help deciding on a 50mm f1.4. Which is better, the Sigma or the Nikon? The Sigma is more expensive, but it's bigger and looks way cooler.

I am a believer the top Branded Lens is normally better than a top off brand lens. The Nikon 50mm has been such a good lens for so long. Not sure if the Sigma is that much better to warrant a higher price? I have not seen either new one in person though.

As for the bigger size, wondering if that just due to using some of the same parts so it fits Canon mount as well (larger), without having to have too many different parts??

Seems every Branded manufacturer's 50mm is considered good / great lens. Not sure why Sigma chose to make the same lens?? And then charge more for it.

The new 50mm F/1.4 that Nikon *just* released is superior to the Sigma. If you are talking about the previous 50mm F/1.4, they are closer but the Nikon still wins out.

Everyone knows the bigger cooler lens takes the better pictures. :p That is until you get tired of lugging them around because they are heavy.

The Sigma is more expensive, but it's bigger and looks way cooler.
Wow, seriously? Concern yourself more with the quality of the glass, not how "cool" you look with the lens.

That said, the Nikon f/1.4 has been around for so long and it's always been excellent. There's no reason to get the Sigma over the Nikon.

I have been using the Nikon 50mm F1.4 for a few years and it is a fantastic lens

Wow, seriously? Concern yourself more with the quality of the glass, not how "cool" you look with the lens.

That said, the Nikon f/1.4 has been around for so long and it's always been excellent. There's no reason to get the Sigma over the Nikon.
:lol:
I was just thinking the same thing.

Am I getting old? Yes..... No...... well, yes, but I'm not getting stupider either. My gear IS cool, but i didn't buy it because it LOOKED cool.

LOL wow, you're in a happy mood. Not knowing which lens produces better quality since I own neither and have worked with neither, I came on here asking for advice. Since it seems to stress you out so much, please don't concern yourself with my requests for advice in the future. :lol:

P.S. thanks to those for giving advice, much appreciated.

garbz was just being sarcastic....sigh!!!!!!!
get a glove ...hey!

LOL wow, you're in a happy mood. Not knowing which lens produces better quality since I own neither and have worked with neither, I came on here asking for advice. Since it seems to stress you out so much, please don't concern yourself with my requests for advice in the future. :lol:

P.S. thanks to those for giving advice, much appreciated.

Perhaps if you wanted a strictly serious answer, you should have asked a strictly serious question.

That would have been way cool. :lmao:

I haven't used the Sigma yet, but I have recently used the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D on my cousin's D80. It does well indoors without a flash, but I did notice that the autofocus was much slower than my 40D with 17-55 f/2.8 IS managed for the same shots.

I personally think the Nikon is better built and feels more solid, and the image tests seem to confirm it's slightly optically better as well.

Jerry: there is a new 50mm 1.4 from Nikon? What do you have to look for in the name to distinguish it from the previous one? I've not heard about this new lens yet.

Anyway, here is a neat comparison page of a couple of the current 50mm lenses.

Jerry: there is a new 50mm 1.4 from Nikon? What do you have to look for in the name to distinguish it from the previous one? I've not heard about this new lens yet.[/quote said:
Im not Jerry but...
Nikon did come out with a new 50 1.4, the new one is AF-S for all of those D40/60 uses out there that want to have AF. I have heard that the IQ is not as good as the old AF 50 1.4 but that could just be talk. But the new AF-S 1.4 has nothing to offer me since u dont have a D40/60 and not worth the extra $200.

Sorry about the bad quoting i cant get it to work
O Well

So I got the New Nikon 50mm 1.4 for Diwali/Xmas (was ordered on Diwali, but the damn thing took freakin' too long to get here!)

Got it from J&R with a $5 off coupon for $394 shipped (no tax). . .I figure it'll come down to about $375 in the end, so I was okay with being an early adopter.

This is my first prime, and I'm absolutely in LOVE. . .it's disGUSTINGLY sharp, like unbelievable, and from what I've read about comparo's to the previous Nikon 1.4, it's thought to be sharper.

Since the previous Nikon 50 1.4 was considered sharper than the Sigma, I can assume that it'll supersede the Sigma in comparison. But I haven't tried them both.

I wanted something light for a prime, as well as able to switch between a FX and DX sensor, which this fit the bill - I use it on my D40x and recently acquired N75; unbelievable pictures, really made the Christmas pics come out stunning this year.

Given the Sigma is more expensive and they are notorious for having AF issues (this thing focuses fast on both my old N75 and D40x, as well as silently!), I would give my personal nod to the Nikon; but try them both and see what weighs/feels/shoots right for you.

Most reactions

Back