52 week photo project

well, here was my take on music..

Music, Then and Now. by jaythomson, on Flickr

my daughters 1898 E. Reinhold Schmidt handmade violin, and my ipod. I thought it would be a nice contrast between then and now, and everything in between since it's all captured digitally now to be heard on an ipod.

couldn't get the color to come out like i wanted, so i went with black & white. i tried to have the screen lit up, but the camera kept metering for the bright screen instead of the violin.

here was my other take. i'm a little more pleased with the color on this one..

Schmidt by jaythomson, on Flickr

Here are my submissions for the first 2 weeks. I am definitely looking to get better, so any C&C is appreciated (be as harsh as you want.. I know they are just pictures :) )

Week 1: Romance

f/5.6, 1/5s, ISO 1600, no flash

Week 2: Music

f/4.0, 1/60s, ISO 400, using built-in flash

i like..

in romance, you clipped the top of the bottle, and the bottom of one glass. also could have used a slight tilt to the left.

you need cascade ;) :p

interesting closeup on the speaker, look closely, it's slightly tilted to the left. look at your left border.

of course, i'm too new to notice anything else.

Thanks for the feedback.. I did notice tilt in the first one, and the clipping of the glass. (and the need for cascade! :lol:). It was handheld, so getting level right was quite the challenge. I guess it would have been better to back out a bit and then crop it so I could fix the level as well without having to crop any important parts.

For the second, the tilt was actually intentional. I took a couple where it was straight, and didn't like it as much. Something about the cones not being perfectly aligned looked more interesting to me, but that could be because I don't know what I am talking about :)

well, here was my take on music..

Music, Then and Now. by jaythomson, on Flickr

my daughters 1898 E. Reinhold Schmidt handmade violin, and my ipod. I thought it would be a nice contrast between then and now, and everything in between since it's all captured digitally now to be heard on an ipod.

couldn't get the color to come out like i wanted, so i went with black & white. i tried to have the screen lit up, but the camera kept metering for the bright screen instead of the violin.

here was my other take. i'm a little more pleased with the color on this one..

Schmidt by jaythomson, on Flickr

I like the concept of the black and white, but something seems to get lost for me in the picture. If I knew more I could better explain what (so I know.. not helpful).

I really really like the color pic of the violin though. I like the angle and the lighting of it.... the shadows are almost the best part for me. Then again, keep in mind I am a noob! :)

naptime i like the violin and ipod idea! though it was kind of hard to tell it was a violin... i had no clue as to what it was till you said violin... and the color one looks great

this is my music for week 2 was going to do ipod but its been done loads so just came up with this. Its a bit poor but will have more time to think about week 3

music by longjon75, on Flickr

colors? hmm that will take some thinking!! but i will come up with something

Alright it's my turn to play some catch up.

Here is my music: The thought behind it was that earphones are an obvious choice and I know it's been done but I've added the Mac as that where you can create, edit or simply enjoy the music. Hope you like my take.

6703864665_ac0a9872b9_z.jpg
[/URL] _MG_0799 - Music by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's my submission for "Music." I have to admit to being disappointed in this shot. I had a much better idea for this one, but I couldn't get my 4 year old and her cousin to cooperate, lol.

This weeks Color Photo (for all the haters, lol)

0701024x678.jpg

Okay, I'm just now getting around to getting the first two weeks posted, and others are already posting Colors!
I've enjoyed all the submissions so far; for me, these challenges are not nearly as much about getting all the technical aspects right (though it's always good to work on that) as it is about just getting the creative juices flowing. And I've been working basically two full-time jobs lately...the creative juices are suffering!!

So, anyway, here's my first two. I tried not to look at the other submissions before I'd taken mine. I see now that many had the same basic idea for music, but oh well.

Romance: Ha, I have NO idea...there ain't no romance happening anywhere NEAR me, lol!

kissesbythefire by sm4him, on Flickr
Kisses by the Fire

Music:

musicnowandthen by sm4him, on Flickr
This definitely didn't really turn out the way it was in my head. I never got the lighting or the angle quite right. The turntable is in one of those great big old cabinets, so it's difficult to get at a good angle.

love the turntable!! i had one of those..

my original thought for music was a picture with the violin, a reel to reel tape, a record, an 8 track, a cassette, a cd, and the ipod.... but it was waaay to cold to go up in the garage attic to find the other media. so i went with the violin and ipod instead. lol.

Most reactions

Back