55-300mm Nikon or 70-300mm Nikon: Please help me decide.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D90 and I am not planning on jumping to FX anytime soon. It's just not in the budget right now.

But, I would like a lens with a bit more reach than my longest lens so I'm considering either the 55-300mm Nikon or the 70-300mm Nikon.

My longest lens currently is the 18-200mm which I honestly, LOVE, even though I know a lot of you on here don't like it. I find it gives me the best images of all my lenses. The rest of my lenses are as follows:

1. 18-55mm (kit) Nikon
2. 35mm f/1.8 Nikon
3. 50mm f/1.8 Nikon
4. 100mm f/2.8 Tokina Macro

So, neither the 55-300mm nor the 70-300mm would "overlap" with my current coverage. I just don't know which is the better lens to use with my D90.

Comments welcome.

Thanks.

we have a D90 and the nikkor 70-300 VRII. its a well built lens, and although we never really need that focal length, the few times we have used it have produced nice results.(got used at ONE wedding for distance shots from a balcony) it mostly sits in our spare camera bag. I try to only give reviews on lenses i either own, or have actually used so I can give accurate information from personal experience and not just from an article i read somewhere. never used the 55-300 so I cant really help you much there.. i have HEARD that the 70-300 nikkor is better built, better VR, and better image quality. but like i said, i have no personal experience with the 55-300 so do your own research on that one.

I haven't used the 55-300 either however I also have heard that it is not quite as good as the 70-300. I can say that I've had my 70-300 for about 3 years and if it broke today I'd buy another one just exactly like it without giving it a second thought. I've used it more than any other lens I own, and probably more than all the others combined.

70-300 VR without any question! Great lens for the money! haven't used the other... but have read several comparisons of lenses in this range, and the 70-300 wins hand down.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone here. 70-300 VR for sure. But, if you're getting better shots with your 18-200 than you can with the Tokina 100/2.8 or 50/1.8, you're doing something wrong..

Mark

bump on the 70-300 VR. I used it for a weekend and didn't wanna give it back. :-( I did not care for the 55-300 at all. Wasn't smooth compared, nor as fast for zoom, and for some reason...just felt like junk.

I agree with everyone here. 70-300 VR for sure. But, if you're getting better shots with your 18-200 than you can with the Tokina 100/2.8 or 50/1.8, you're doing something wrong..

Mark

Plus ONE on that! The Tokina 100 is a excellent lens..!

I didn't even catch that, lol. good catch.

I am murdering all my lenses, that I borrow, lol...I still only own my kit lens; with the 50mm 1.4. I have not used the 1.8 but I can't imagine your zoom out performing that one, much less the tonika

Mark

Yeah, I think I misspoke on that one. I really like the images I get out of the 18-200, in fact, I like them better than those I get out of the 18-55mm and the 35mm. I do get good shots from the Tokina 100mm. I love that lens. Truth be told, I have the 50mm 1.8 but I haven't used it much so I don't have much history to judge by yet.

I have bought like 3 lenses for $1000 + used each. I have sold all three for the same price as what I paid for it or MORE! Buying a used lens is like renting for free. Just dont break it! It is very easy trying to sell a nice lens that people use. Just keep trying and find a good deal on local CL. Just something to consider on your next purchase.

Mark

I LOVE my Tokina!!! Single best purchase I've made so far! :heart:

OP: I *really* liked my 55-300, until I decided to see if it could swim. It couldn't. :lol:
But from everything I've heard from others or read, if you can afford the difference, there is no question you should go with the 70-300. When I can afford it, that's what I plan to do.

I have bought like 3 lenses for $1000 + used each. I have sold all three for the same price as what I paid for it or MORE! Buying a used lens is like renting for free. Just dont break it! It is very easy trying to sell a nice lens that people use. Just keep trying and find a good deal on local CL. Just something to consider on your next purchase.

Robin, there is a guy here locally selling his 70-300mm lens for $400. Says he's the "second owner" and bought it from a friend of his. It's in "good shape." That would save me about $200 from buying new. Do you have any concerns about buying a used lens of that sort?

of course there is always a concern.. but you can try it since you are buying it locally. If you think it is a good deal (i dont know nikon pricing), jump on it. Like I said, you can shoot with it for a year or two. When you sell it, probably you can sell it for about the same price or maybe slightly lower.

Jeff,

Here is a E+ rated 70-300 VR from Adorama for $399.00 with a return policy... much better deal! I would trust Adorama before I would some local guy! Price is in the midrange for this lens used.

Used Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6G Ed-If Af-s Vr

Yeah, I was just looking at that lens at B&H. That's a really good deal. They have several of them. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back