5D Mark ii or 7D

My friend got a 7D about 1 month ago so I've been listening to what he has to say about it; all the features it has. I really like the 8 fps.

Danny

I think the Xsi takes great pictures. I love the camera. Don't get me wrong, but it is my opionion that the 7D and 5D take better pictures.

Better photographers take better pictures, not better cameras. If you want the best, and have the money for it, than that's fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your photos will look drastically better than if you had gotten an Xsi. The chances are that the camera is not the limiting factor in final output.

I hear ya!

You also get a little more reach if you get that 70-200L do to the crop sensor. I am leaning towards the 7D myself unless something more enticing presents itself in the next 3 weeks. I shoot mainly longer focal lengths.

The 7D takes better pics than my 50D and it does awesome landscapesm, so yes, the 7D would work well here. For widness that is all based on lens. The 12-24/4 Tokina is very tough to beat and is probably the best lens I have used in it's class. Beating even Canon, and Nikon's own versions in most areas. I have to admit though I have been eyeing the new Sigma 8-16 but have yet to try it out.

7D and 5D are aim at different market. If you want a camera that gear more towards action/sports stuff, 7D is the choice. If you want a camera that gear more portrait/landscape/product stuff, then choose the 5D.

However, it doesn't mean you cannot use a 5D to shoot a volleyball game nor use the 7D for wedding photography. Either case, it is you who create the result.

Just like in another similar thread, what do you want to gain from the upgrade? What is the limitation of your current setup? If you know the answers, then it will help you on how to spend your money.

Or maybe we, as wise members of the TPF forum, should ask what is so limiting about the XSI that you feel the need to upgrade, especially considering your photography ambitions.
I dont need to play Dr Phil to every thread. He asked for help choosing, not help making him feel better about his XS.
Oh Taylor, why so serious? Forgive me for having a bit of fun.

You're a tool if you think what we say has any influence over how this stranger blows his cash. There is no way I could (or would want to) persuade him to stick with his current camera when he so obviously wants to buy. I just wanted to know what he thought was so limiting.

Just like in another similar thread, what do you want to gain from the upgrade? What is the limitation of your current setup? If you know the answers, then it will help you on how to spend your money.

I want to attain better image quality, period. If there are other bells and whistles that come along with that, then fine. I've been looking at a lot of reviews and the 5D is better than the 7D when it comes to image quality.

Danny

You're a tool if you think what we say has any influence over how this stranger blows his cash. There is no way I could (or would want to) persuade him to stick with his current camera when he so obviously wants to buy. I just wanted to know what he thought was so limiting.

Stranger???

I thought we were all friends on this forum...

Oh well...

:(

I think the Xsi takes great pictures. I love the camera. Don't get me wrong, but it is my opionion that the 7D and 5D take better pictures.

Better photographers take better pictures, not better cameras. If you want the best, and have the money for it, than that's fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your photos will look drstically better than if you had gotten an Xsi.
:thumbup: well said, but one also needs to realize that better features make getting the shot you want easier. There is a reason why the 5D is so popular among pros, and why most pros dont rely on a kodak easyshare point and shoot. This statement always gets way overused and taken way too literally.

Also, I wanted to add to the OP: there also DOF differences with full frame. Look it up, or maybe someone like KHM willshow up since he seems to have diagragms for everything. I dont know enough to explain thoroughly enough.

Thanks Taylor. I agree with what you said about the gear helping you get the better shot. True, the camera won't find the photo or compose it, but it will help you get a great shot once you do all that.

The diff with DoF with a cropped sensor is news to me. I will definitely look it up.

Danny

Better photographers take better pictures, not better cameras. If you want the best, and have the money for it, than that's fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your photos will look drastically better than if you had gotten an Xsi. The chances are that the camera is not the limiting factor in final output.

I would like to thank you for conveying this thought in the thread to someone about to drop money. I really do not know anybody buying bodies right now, since we are all waiting for next month, as a person stated earlier.

Sounds like you have a dime to blow, do so next month. If your not worried about the money and it's not the object, go nikon. Lastly,............It's in the glass. 1/3 of your budget on the body, 2/3 on glass.

Thanks Taylor. I agree with what you said about the gear helping you get the better shot. True, the camera won't find the photo or compose it, but it will help you get a great shot once you do all that.

The diff with DoF with a cropped sensor is news to me. I will definitely look it up.

Danny

Taylor,

Check this link. According to this guy, the DoF difference with a full frame body is a myth.

Full Frame vs Crop Sensor - Depth of Field Myth | Have Camera Will Travel | Gary Gray

Danny

Guys,

I am going to buy one of these cameras soon. A few things about me:

1. I am not a pro (not even a good amateur).
2. I will use the camera to take pics of my kids (sports, activities, everyday kind of stuff).

The XSi is a hell of a camera. if you are a photographer on your level, getting a 5D or 7D is not going to give you DAY AND NIGHT improvements. I know people who make stunning professional pictures on an XS.

My fiance is a photographer as well. She loves to shoot with her rebel xt on occasion. I have seen some incredible shots from that little guy. You have to know how to drive the car to get any performance.

I hear ya!

It's all about taking an honest look at yourself and your photography, and trying your best to understand what your current limiting factor is. More often than not more knowledge, practice or passion will go alot further than more gear.

But of course, that doesn't mean that I don't have big dreamy doll eyes for a set of Elinchrom Rangers... :)

I got a shot published about a year ago with the Nikon D40 lol and had some picks from it at a local photo comaptition against photo's from multi thousand dollar systems. I didn't win, but was right up with them in votes and even got a honarable mention on one. Oh they guys with the Mark III and D3's didnt win either I think the top prize went went to a person using a 40D if I recall. If you need further proof how important cameras are look at Ansel Adams and other legends. They had crap cameras compared to today and there pics are better than pretty much any top pro using the top of the line cameras and lenses of today.

I don't blame you for wanting a better camera, I buy into this stuff to sometimes but look at what you really need. Personally, I feel lenses will go alot further in helping you. bodies are just expensive disposables, but in the end only you can decide what will make you happy and that's the purpose of it all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back