5D MK II Announced - the moon shines

I hope video does not become a "standard" feature of DSLRs. I hate paying extra for gimicks.
The new 5D II is cheaper than the 5D was...so you wouldn't really be paying extra for it. I'd chalk this feature up to the fierce competition in the marketplace...it's like a bonus. You could ignore it completely and enjoy the rest of the features, if you don't like it.

hm with both the 40d and the 5d dropping in prices now im going to have to make a decision. old 5D, or old 40D im thinking with all the xmas sale and stuff the 5D will start to drop down near the 40D's old new mark in price... excitement.

and look at those uropean prices, thats ridiculous. especially england's.

Don't let regional prices fool you - the exchange rate is in an odd imbalance right now, but there is such a thing as market value. Also, don't forget that EU prices already include 19% V.A.T., whereas US consumers typically need to pay a sales tax - the internet has been unbelievably helpful in that respect though.

I would suggest the following: if you're a Canon shooter, and have been waiting to go Full Frame, really think about what you're shooting, and what you're printing. You might conclude that the 5D Mk I is good enough, and will be able to get a big discount on them right now...

I rarely buy anything brand new.... I'll be one of those in line for a good used 5D MkI as a secondary for my 1dMII which still keeps me happy. I think the 5D MII is going to be a good selling product but none of the specs on paper really pushes me to upgrade.

Wonder if they improved the dynamic range at all...

Wonder if they improved the dynamic range at all...

I think so, unless I'm reading this incorrectly....from the press release (http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20080917_5dmkii.html)

Peripheral Illumination Correction
The Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR camera automatically conducts peripheral illumination correction when shooting JPEG images, a function that previously could only be accomplished through post-image processing using software such as Canon's Digital Photo Professional, which Canon supplies at no extra charge. Peripheral illumination correction evens brightness across the image field, making an image of a blue sky even toned throughout and reducing light fall-off at image edges. This new feature essentially eliminates one of the limitations of previous full-frame digital SLRs.

Auto Lighting Optimizer
Canon's enhanced Auto Lighting Optimizer technology helps ensure each picture's subject is clearly visible by analyzing image brightness and automatically adjusting dark areas in images so that they appear brighter. This function is ideal in high-contrast situations such as urban landscapes captured on sunny days, where the tops of buildings are brightly lit while street level details are obscured by heavy shadows. In this type of scene, the 5D Mark II camera's Auto Lighting Optimizer technology preserves accurate exposure of the highlights while opening up the shadow areas for a more pleasing tonal rendition.

The 3.9 fps and 9 pouint AF is what's killing it for me.

+1. I was personally hoping for some more fps and definitely more AF points, but other than that I still think its a great camera. I think that what Iron said though is true. Lets hope it is.:sexywink:

+1. I was personally hoping for some more fps and definitely more AF points, but other than that I still think its a great camera. I think that what Iron said though is true. Lets hope it is.:sexywink:

I agree about the AF points being less than what I was hoping for, but I can overlook this considering that I think this camera will be able to produce some extremely high quality images.

On the topic of AF points, can anyone explain this statement from Canon's press release, as I couldn't understand exactly how the Assist AF points work in practice...I am wondering if they could potentially be a cause for frustration if they are focusing on points that you actually don't want them to focus on?

The camera includes a 15-point Autofocus (AF) sensor with nine selectable AF points plus six additional Assist AF points (three center AF points sensitive to f/2.8 lenses) with enhanced light source detection and AF microadjustment for greater autofocus performance.

I was personally hoping for some more fps and definitely more AF points, but other than that I still think its a great camera. I think that what Iron said though is true. Lets hope it is.
If you want more FPS and more AF points...then buy a 1D or 1Ds....that's what Canon wants you to do. If they make the 5DII too good, fewer people would buy the pro bodies.

The camera includes a 15-point Autofocus (AF) sensor with nine selectable AF points plus six additional Assist AF points (three center AF points sensitive to f/2.8 lenses) with enhanced light source detection and AF microadjustment for greater autofocus performance.
The way I understand it....The additional AF points are 'hidden' assist AF points. They are meant to be used when you are tracking a moving subject around the centre of the frame. Basically making the whole centre area a big AF zone. The points are more sensitive/effective when used with fast glass and there is a microadjustment option for when your lens won't focus accurately.

One thing that a lot of people seem to be complaining about, is that the 9 points that we can see...are too close together.

If you want more FPS and more AF points...then buy a 1D or 1Ds....that's what Canon wants you to do. If they make the 5DII too good, fewer people would buy the pro bodies.

thats true to a point but I know a few people who will trade in 1DS mkIII's for a 5D mkII as its so much lighter, its only 1.1 FPS slower than the 1DS mkIII and its better at high ISO's than the pro body.

I agree!!! whenever these prosumer bodies are released people usually comment about how they are missing this feature or that feature... all features in their high end fully pro-bodies. What people don't realize is that the "lack" of these features is what makes these prosumer bodies more "affordable". Turn it around... we are plain lucky Canon even makes this level of camera... they could have easily stopped and not fill the gap between the 50D and 1D/SMIII.

Everyone wants the world of features but no body wants to pay for them.

Frankly.. I'm surprised that the 5D MII is 21 megapixel sensor.... I was expecting something in between the 1DMIII and 1DSMIII.

hehe, true.

I will most likely end up with the 5D Mark II given that my first priority is IQ and high ISO performance. FF is a nice addition. From a recent conversation with a Canon tech rep that visited the local store, I brought up the question about multiple AF points to him when the 50D was announced. How they seem to lag behind what nikon offers in the D200/300 and D700. He explained to me that though the Canon models "show" less selectable areas, they actually cover the same amount of AF space. The AF processor will still lead the focus from one to the other as if a selectable point was there. All of the Canon points are cross-type AF with the center having the additional high-precision crosses. Dunno how much is a pitch but this is suppose to be the norm for the XSi, 50D and presumably the 5D Mark II. We'll see how real world test hold up since I plan on testing both offerings.

Most reactions

Back