5D MK II Announced - the moon shines

Alex B,

You're telling me that Canon can't take good example pics? I'm not sure what to think. I'm not sure if I think you made a lame excuse or if the Canon co. it so lame as to be that incompetent.

As far as lens selection and settings the girl portrait is:
File Name..................1_portrait.jpg
Tv (Shutter Speed)......1/100 sec
Av (Aperture Value).....f/2
ISO Speed..................ISO100
Lens..........................EF50mm f/1.2L USM
White Balance.............AWB
Picture Style...............Neutral​

The DoF is way too tight for a sharp, clean example of a 21MP camera. And, as a JPG with no processing (ie Neutral Picture Style), it's a really bad example. Most photographers would have popped the contrast slightly and used a smaller aperture, probably at least in the f/2.8 to f/4 range.

and the landscape one is:
File Name...................2_landscape.jpg
Tv (Shutter Speed).......1/800 sec
Av (Aperture Value)......f/7.1
ISO Speed...................ISO100
Lens...........................EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
White Balance..............Daylight
Picture Style................Landscape

Again, bad photography. Daylight WB is really only accurate mid-day. That lens isn't the greatest, optically speaking, and really isn't sharpest at less than f/8, ime. The shot also needs a warming polarizer since the haze is going to wash out any colors.

I'll wait until I see a real photographer post example images before writing it off as a dud.

[/indent]The DoF is way too tight for a sharp, clean example of a 21MP camera. And, as a JPG with no processing (ie Neutral Picture Style), it's a really bad example. Most photographers would have popped the contrast slightly and used a smaller aperture, probably at least in the f/2.8 to f/4 range.

Not only that, AWB looks to have been a poor choice - poor lass looks green...

Especially when many of the working pros have openly stated that 8, 10 or 12 mega pixels was plenty enough for them...and anything bigger is a PITA because of the huge file size.

I supose with quade core computers now becomming mor afforedable and duel core being the new minimum standard that the camera manufactureers considered that a pro working with a computer would be able to afford a decently powered machine for image processing.
Further pressure will also be on adobe to make its programs run more efficiently with larger file sizes - though this is a reactive change so the high MP cameras had to come first

do you know when we will be able to buy one of these Cameras ?
Is it still worth buying a D700 when you can have a 21MP ....cheaper??!!

This is the key question for me, and there is so much hype going around it's difficult to get at the facts. I want to see a really thorough and impartial comparison between the D700 and 5DII.

I think it's funny that everything people are complaining about what should be in the 5D are in the D700 at a similar price point.

Sealing - I have actually submerged my D700 in a river before. I was shooting firedancing in Lake Oswego (check my flickr page for the pics), was being clumsy, slipped on a rock and ker-PLUNK my camera was soaked all the way to the lens mount. I just got my towel and dried it off, made sure the lens mount was dry (it was for the most part) and kept shooting like nothing happened.

Autofocus- Everyone knows the D700 has the D3's 51 point AF system that unlike the 5DII covers most of the frame. Everyone knows how fast it is.

Drive- out of the box, 5fps, put a grip on it, you're at 8, put it in single shot, and if your finger is fast enough, you can get more then 5fps on it out of the box w/o the grip.

Pop up flash- This is actually better then the D3, with the pop up flash you can control your speedlights off camera, something that I use almost every time I photograph people in a controlled environment.

They're two cameras made for different purposes. If the D700 is for a fast, lightweight FF SLR that you can take over to Baghdad, the 5DII would be for the L.A. fashion photographer who's got a tight budget studio or the vacation landscape shooter.

There are things that Canon should have done with the 5DII, because even though it's 20-someodd megapixels, it's outclassed by the D700.

If you can buy a 5D MKII and you are a pro, you should already have a good computer, like a quad core or a dual core...
Soon I am buying a nice dual core
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Dual Core $190
along with a bunch of other computer parts

honestly.. I wish there were more contenders..... the nikon versus canon thing is kinda old. ;)

I was hoping that someone would finally release a new body in which their primary focus was a significant (and easily visible) increase in dynamic range. Instead of the mpixel race, gizmo features, etc.... At olympus is changing the whole DSLR design.....

A wider range of top end companies would be rather good - they could specialize in a field - one for sports/wildlife, journalists, studio, football mums/dads, crazy pixel peepers, etc.....
Rather than two companies that try to make one size fits all cameras ;)

They're two cameras made for different purposes. If the D700 is for a fast, lightweight FF SLR that you can take over to Baghdad, the 5DII would be for the L.A. fashion photographer who's got a tight budget studio or the vacation landscape shooter.
It's also the weapon-of-choice for Paparazzi.

I will also say a lot of macro photographers are keen on the 5DM2 - full frame is something good for macro work (makes it much easier to get the whole bug into many shots over crop sensor where you lose areas) but also many are thinking on macro films as well.

Actually, the Mark I has a Full-Frame sensor as well. However, LiveView is really handy for macro work, so I will agree.

Most reactions

Back